Target Armor Arc caution

I have known this to be true for awhile but thought I would post it since I was just reminded in a PBEM game.  

Use the Target Armor Arc with caution because a tank with a Target Armor Arc generally will not fire on anti-tank guns.  (Sometimes if the tank crew has low motivation they might disregard the arc and fire in self defense.)  One of my TACSOPs is to give my tanks a 360o Target Armor Arc covering the entire map when hunting OpFor tanks so friendly tanks don't become distracted and shoot at the first infantry team they spot.  Today I had a platoon of tanks move up to a ridge.  Two of the tanks had Target Armor Arcs.  AT guns were spotted in a wood line about 800 meters away.  The first friendly tank to make the spot had a Target Armor Arc and held its fire.  The AT guns fired first.............. Use with caution.

The friendly tanks were veteran, fit, normal motivation, 0 leadership.          

Though I'm not surprised by the behaviour, I never gave any thought to the implications until you mentioned it here. I think it's because I don't do what you do on the attack, the times I use Target Armor Arc are primarily on the defence. 

So I just learned two things - your SOP which I never thought of, and that it can backfire. ^_^

Also: AT-teams (bazooka, panzerfaust) will be really vulnerable with an armour cover arc set. I've seen enemies run straight up to them and gun them down at 5 metre range, without the AT team reacting before handgrenades are starting to go off, and that's kind of toe late... This is with teams' leadership and motivation set at +1.

Edited by Bulletpoint

10 hours ago, Bud Backer said:

<Snip> the times I use Target Armor Arc are primarily on the defense. <Snip> 

I may be making a change to my TACSOP.  Or at least typing a reminder onto the end of the drill. 

9 hours ago, IanL said:

<Snip> This is a good reminder to keep all threats in mind.

Yes, this incident should keep it fresh in my mind for awhile.  :angry:

34 minutes ago, Bulletpoint said:

Also: AT-teams (bazooka, panzerfaust) will be really vulnerable with an armour cover arc set. I've seen enemies run straight up to them and gun them down at 5 metre range, without the AT team reacting before handgrenades are starting to go off, and that's kind of toe late... This is with teams' leadership and motivation set at +1.

That reminds me.  A tank with a Target Armor Arc will not shoot at bazooka teams.  I don't recall this one ever being a problem but it could be.  Especially in MOUT or the Normandy bocage.