Mullah Fayyad Highway - Iraq 2006

On ‎8‎/‎14‎/‎2016 at 3:52 PM, MOS:96B2P said:

An M240Bravo team grabs some ammo.  (Wow!  Look at all the stuff in these trucks!  It's like Christmas!  And no S4 type with his inventory tracking / record keeping self in sight!  PARTY!)

AT-4's for everyone! Hooray!

I've downloaded this, but I don't know when I'll get around to playing it.

Re the choice of AT rockets available to US (or Red Force for that matter) squads.  It's never been clear to me which squad level AT rockets are best for which targets.  ie:  When there is a choice, which rockets do you load up with and for what purpose?  Elucidation appreciated...

5 hours ago, Erwin said:

Re the choice of AT rockets available to US (or Red Force for that matter) squads.  It's never been clear to me which squad level AT rockets are best for which targets.  ie:  When there is a choice, which rockets do you load up with and for what purpose?  Elucidation appreciated...

Whenever possible, I take all the LAWs and AT4s available. Having additional disposable HE launchers is never a bad thing.

Same for REDFOR, grab extra ammo for the RPGs whenever possible.

So LAW's and AT4's are essentially interchangeable - more or less the same effectiveness vs armor, buldings and inf other than range perhaps??

I can't recall all the rockets available to Blue and Red.  But, are there any rockets that one would NOT normally take unless for a specific purpose - and what would their specific functions be?

4 hours ago, Erwin said:

So LAW's and AT4's are essentially interchangeable - more or less the same effectiveness vs armor, buldings and inf other than range perhaps?? <Snip> 

The AT4 replaced the original LAW in the US Army.  The USMC continued to use an improved LAW alongside the new AT4.   

The AT4 has a 84mm HEAT round with a range of about 250 meters.

The LAW has a 66mm HEAT round with a range of about 200 meters.   

On 8/21/2016 at 3:10 PM, Erwin said:

The AT4 has the bigger round and longer distance so I will take those first.  Any remaining Special Equipment slots that are still open I will fill with LAWs.  If you use Target Light your troops will not fire AT4s, LAWs or Javelins.  If you use Target against a vehicle or building they will fire AT4s, LAWs and Javelins.  (I don't recall much luck getting them to area target an open area with any of these weapons or infantry not in a building).  So there is only so much you can do to get them to fire a certain weapon system at a certain time.  I will generally split my squads into teams during the Set Up Phase and have them draw ammo for that team's main function.  Assault or base of fire usually.  Then I keep them separated so they don't recombine and screw up the ammo distribution.  If they are going back into vehicles I cross load them so they can't recombine in the vehicle and again redistribute the ammo between teams in a way that might not be appropriate for how I will employ them once the fighting starts.      

Edited by MOS:96B2P

Thanks.  I think of the Javs as a different type of weapon as it's long range fire and forget.  But, I always wondered whether there was any significant (in-game) difference between AT4 and LAW other than range.  But since AT4 has the bigger warhead as well, that's the one I'll load up first in future.  (Am thinking about infantry missions like this one - where buildings are the only target.  So, AT4 would be the most effective vs inf in buildings, yes?)

On 8/21/2016 at 1:55 PM, Combatintman said:

@MOS:96B2P - I guess from your last update that you had no real dramas clearing the compound complex.  It'll be interesting to see how the last 15 minutes pan out for you but so far you seem to be on track to grab all the objectives.

//////////////////////////////////////// Spoiler/////////////////////////////////////////

//////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////// Spoiler ////////////////////////////////////////////////////

Some drama but manageable.  In BP T148 the one building adjacent to a wall also had an elevation change.  This sometimes (most times?) results in engineers not being able to enter through the blasted wall.  Instead they will run around the building and enter through the door.  In my Blast TacSOP I have a note to look at the building wall to be blasted to determine if it might have an elevation difference.  I thought it might.  I gave my engineers a Pause before the Blast.  After the Blast they had about 5 seconds to run around the building before the turn ended and I was able to cancel the order.  Infantry teams positioned by the Blast location fired into the building killing the suppressed OpFor.

Then the engineers made a second Blast.  This time the Blast was through the wall next to the same building so troops could enter the compound and finish the clean up.  This and some clever positions for OpFor troops slowed the attack.  Several minutes later LTC Evans used this blasted wall section to enter BP T148.  

Welcome to BP T148 LTC Evans.  

Welcome%20Lt.Col.%20Evans_zpslntci7jr.jp

/////////////////////////////////////////////// Spoiler /////////////////////////////////////////////////

////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////// Spoiler ///////////////////////////////////////////////////////////

This surprised me some.  The OpFor surrendered at 0828.  Major US Victory.  

SitMap 0828

SitMap0828Hrs._zpsczjfrrdq.jpg

1) Task Force Warner in a fire fight with OpFor at LOE Crampon North.

2) One building left to clear in BP T148.

3) One truck from the logistics convoy entered BP T148.  The remaining three vehicles are just south.  

Logistics_zpsbzxv066s.jpg

Rushdi%20Mullah%20AAR2_zpsv2ej1sxn.jpg

Rushdi%20Mullah%20AAR1_zpsgkobgyvu.jpg

Another great scenario.  Highly Recommend it. 

Edited by MOS:96B2P

Pretty good result there mate - you pulled it out of the bag after your IED and mortar troubles.  With regard to the enemy surrender, that is pretty much how it worked out in most of my testing and to be fair you were 2 minutes away from time up.  While I could have added some more enemy that never appear to keep the scenario running until the clock ran down I decided against it.  The main reasons being:

a.  There is no way to award VPs to getting the convoy to the right place.

b.  Once you've fought your original skirmishes, cleared the road and got in amongst the compound you've pretty much beaten the enemy.

c.  I didn't want to add any time to the mission because it is long enough and balanced to put the player under pressure to clear the road to ensure the safe arrival of the convoy.

Glad you enjoyed it anyway and thanks for a great AAR and recommendation.