Vietnam?

This was Steve's quote as of New Year's Day 2000:

"CM will never simulate Vietnam. CM was designed, from the get go, to be WWII. Unlike other games, we can't tweak a thing or two and make CM into something that it isn't. Plus, we have about 12 years worth of WWII development scheduled ahead of us, and Vietnam is NOT part of that plan.

Steve"

Maybe BTS might develop a Vietnam-era game with a different game engine, but it doesn't look likely for the CM series.

Mods Mods Mods

I plan to buy this once the shipping rush is over. I think it is the best tactical game ever made.

The only thing I don't like is that it represents only one small theater of operations. Yes, I know they'll be working on more but I think it is a ploy to get our money to continue rolling in.

Hopefully, some enterprising hackers will be able to develop mods for other theaters and Vietnam and then we can enjoy the whole thing with one game the way it should be in the first place.

------------------

Rich

Guest Scott Clinton

There is a fairly good mod out of CC3, a mod for "Steel Panthers" (with another on the way), TOAW2 and the venerable "Seal Team".

Those are about it.

------------------

Please note: The above is solely the opinion of 'The Grumbling Grognard' and reflects no one else's views but his own.

As mentioned before just recently Close combat III just had a mod developed for the Vietnam Era.

http://closecombat.thegamers.net/Cc3Vietnam/home.htm

Any questions just e-mail me I have info on all the maods available for the close combat series

------------------

"There are only two kinds of people on this beach; the dead and those about to die. So let's get the hell out of here!"

-Col. George Taylor

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by rich12545:

The only thing I don't like is that it represents only one small theater of operations. Yes, I know they'll be working on more but I think it is a ploy to get our money to continue rolling in.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

A ploy?? tongue.giftongue.gif Why do you think that? smile.gifwink.gif

Actually they did this theater first to get the core of the vehicles modeled. And so the next one, CM2 Eastern Front won't have that many more to do. Well, yes, they'll be quite a bit more actually, but most of the late German stuff will already be done.

I think this was mentioned by Steve once before.

------------------

"While stands the Collosseum, Rome shall stand.

When falls the Collosseum, Rome shall fall.

And when Rome falls -- the World."

**Byron**

I don't understand why the entire ww2 could not be included. Steel Panthers did it. So did TOAW on a larger scale. We're talking about adding countries, terrain, weapons, etc. The basic engine is complete. The game is $45. Now $45 for each theater. I might be willing to pay (like $20) as theater add on packs but a whole new game for each strikes me as a ploy. This is typically what Talonsoft does. How much did people pay for EF, WF, EF2, RS and now a combo EF2 and WF not to mention all the add on packs. And look at all the TOAW editions. There is now one for the whole century. They could have done this to begin with. I'll buy CM because I really like the demo and am looking forward to the game. Then I'll see who comes out with mods for the rest of the war.

------------------

Rich

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>I don't understand why the entire ww2 could not be included. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Since every vehicle, every weapon, and every squad is modeled in the code, I think that would be a bit much for the first release. Think of every possible ww2 unit and all the data and graphics, for all the major and minor combatants. It would ship on several CDs, I reckon.

Plus, just think what it would be like to wait for BTS to finish the whole war. Can you see us all hitting reload forty times a day for ten years waiting for the game to come out? wink.gif

I think there will be plenty of variety to keep us all busy until CM2 comes out.

Guest KwazyDog

*I don't understand why the entire ww2 could not be included.*

Do you realise that each vehicle you see in the game in the game takes 20-30 hrs to model?

I started helping out Steve and Charles with models and textures for CM over a year ago, and Id say I personally put close to 1000 hrs of work on the 3D vehicles models and textures in the game. As a guess Im sure Steve put in more than what I did, maybe twice as much.....sooooooo.......lets say the vehicles 3D models and texture for CM are going to take at least 2500hrs, probably more (which other than the fact that the data files are encrypted is another reason you wont see vehicle models modified). id guess CM2 is going to have at least that many vehicles, and considering it contains vehicle from the beginning of the war until the end probably a LOT more. Then you have to take into account the fact that the Germans had multiple camo schemes furing this time. Can you now see how much work it is going to take? And that isnt even considering the extra features and programming going into it.

As you probably can see just by looking at them Steel Panthers and TOW are nothing like CM. You see, there is a difference between CM and those games, CM IS 3D!! smile.gif

[This message has been edited by KwazyDog (edited 05-31-2000).]

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>As you probably can see just by looking at them Steel Panthers and TOW are nothing like CM. You see, there is a difference between CM and those games,

CM IS 3D!!<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Now, now KD. You are assuming too much: like the connection of a brain to those eyes.

[This message has been edited in the interests of cross-cultural understanding by removal of the australianism "wanker" (edited 05-31-2000).]

[This message has been edited by Simon Fox (edited 05-31-2000).]

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by rich12545:

I don't understand why the entire ww2 could not be included. Steel Panthers did it. So did TOAW on a larger scale. We're talking about adding countries, terrain, weapons, etc. ... Then I'll see who comes out with mods for the rest of the war.

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Ahh, where to begin?

Tell us Mr Head, when would you like to be playing CM:The_Whole_Frigging_Shooting_Match ?

Early next month? Because you wouldn't be. You might get it in, oh, 5-6 years. Assuming Steve and Charles (prostates self to the NE) hadn't died of starvation in the meantime. Its taken about 4 years to get to where it is now, letting alone adding every damn thing that had tracks, wheels, or feet on the other 3 fronts, during the other 5 years.

The people coming out with the mods will be S&C - one major mod about every 12 months for the next five years or so. Is that enough for you? Or would you like more - for example, to pay nothing for these mods?

Well - you get what you pay for. And you don't want to pay for much. So you can [removed]

grumpily

Jon

------------------

Ubique

[This message has been edited by Jon_S out of inter-country shame (edited 05-31-2000).]

[This message has been edited by Jon_S (edited 05-31-2000).]

All I have to say is that sitting here playing the two demo scenarios over and over, is that this game is a work of love for all WWII buffs. It gives us a chance to feel what it was really like on the western front for those guys. At least I get as much a sense of WWII combat from this game as I did watching Saving Private Ryan (Although the ending was fakey in my opinion).

I would pay $100 per Edition of CM because when a game comes out that is revolutionary, it changes they way of games to come after it. Besides I've waited for a game like this since video games first caught my attention.

Consider me a slave to CM for the next 5 years! smile.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>I don't understand why the entire ww2 could not be included. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Sure, why not the east front? And France 1940? Maybe a bit of the Western Desert, even throw in Burma and Poland and the Balkans. Plus there's the Pacific War... maybe the Russo-Finnish or the Russians vs the Japanese in the 1930s... and come to think of it, Korea wasn't *that* different...

Oh, and couldn't it be shareware?

Seriously, this is a business and Charles and Steve do need to eat.

Also, don't expect CM2 to just be the CM1 engine with new vehicles. There are plans to upgrade and overhaul various parts of the system. If programmers can't get paid for upgrading their software, why should they bother?

Still, if you don't think it's worth the additional money, don't buy it. It's a market economy and you can vote "no" with your wallet. smile.gif

Well, not to harp on an already dead topic, but, TOAW and Steel Panther's cannot be put in the same category as CM. They are much easier to 'hack' into. For SP, there was an editor allowing you to edit every single bit of information for the units, as, they were more abstract than CM. CM's units are hardwired, being, that they aren't that easy to change/hack. Ineed, Steve said that the game will be virtually unhackable, as, everything is going to be all locked up in a major file (ie. no separate and editable files for each unit).

I would have to say it would be great if Vietnam and the Pacific could be modeled, but, they don't have time (ie. a lifespan long enough) to do them all. Possibly they could lease out their code to allow another company to create these fields of war, or, they could expand (if CM is VERY successful). However, we shouldn't go demanding that they do any of these. CM is their game, and they should not be bullied, or attempted to be bullied into doing anything they do not choose with it.

Rich not to be rude, but God forgive a company that tries to make a profit. Lots of software developers spend very little time perfecting a product. They release inferior products with seemingly very little play testing. These guys obviously have spent years trying to give us consumers a worthy product and I'm very willing to support them. The mission editing tool will allow you to create missions to your hearts desire. Hopefully, you didn't mean what you said about only being willing to pay 20 bucks for any add on packs, considering this will be probably the best war game ever to been released to date lets not get cheap on these guys. What you may see as a ploy to scam, I see as a ploy to make profit and give us better games.... smile.gif

------------------

Lead, Follow or Get the Hell Out of the Way...

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Red Dog:

Not sure if this has been brought up before, but I would love to see a Vietnam War game using the Combat Mission engine.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

That would be easy enough. You put in TONS of trees, make everything

"sight blocked"

and you proceed to move slowly through the trees until you run into the NME. Or you start out and find out you are already surrounded by em or have just walked into an ambush etc...

I'll pass thanks

Poor Rich! You really touched a sore spot.

Anyway, another thing is that CM has a very small team (2). In fact I'm just AMAZED at how much they get done. Not only do they make the best game ever but they monitor this board constantly. The way I see it:

2 man team:

Pros: Very responsive to user input. We request kill rings on tanks and PRESTO they're there!

Cons: I'm playing with this BBS rather than the full version.

IMHO the pros outway the cons.