What if PTSD Is More Physical Than Psychological?

I think this, although not directly game related, might be of interest to a great many of you. If the mods think wrong forum please feel free to move. Given the interest in modern warfare I thought this forum would be a good start point. Also gives a perspective to aspects of the action on the CM battlefield we never have to take into account...

http://www.nytimes.com/2016/06/12/magazine/what-if-ptsd-is-more-physical-than-psychological.html?_r=0

I don't recall where, but I read once that soldiers who've experienced war as youngsters will often return to the comforting items and behaviors of their youth as they attempt to sort out or come to terms with what they've done.  Wargaming, model airplane building, paintball etc can appear a bit differently through that lens I reckon, as what might appear as a form of adult regression could in fact be a sophisticated and calculated form of therapy.

I doubt there have been any proper scientifc studies done on this particular hypotheses but I've painted enough airfix toy soldiers as an adult to consider that there might be a grain of truth there.  

I highly recommend the groundbreaking book "Achilles in Vietnam: Combat Trauma and the Undoing of Character" by Shay. It originally came out in 1995 so it predates the last 8(?) wars we've been involved in (depending on what you considered to be a war).

• 2 weeks later...

George MC,

Pure gold! Have bookmarked it, sent a message with it to a very war battered veteran I know and passed the word to family and friends. One of my brothers was mortared, rocketed and narrowly escaped death (blew right after he passed) from a VBIED in Anbar Province, Iraq. Not only is this fabulous information as it regards veterans worldwide, but it is helpful to me in making an even stronger case for high resolution (way better than MRI) imaging of my brain, which has had many impact shock related misadventures, with a TBI ~ 4 years ago being merely the latest in a long list. Many thanks!

Regards,

John Kettler

Brown dust on the brain from blasts wow sounds nasty, being in a war just got a lot worse sounding for me upon reading that.  Makes me think that in the future some rigid sealed armour might be an important thing to protect against blast effects.  Brings to mind Star Wars Stormtroopers, and Halo, and of course this guy. 

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Troy_Hurtubise

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Trojan_Ballistics_Suit_of_Armor

Troy_Hurtubise_Trojan_suit_1.jpg

cool breeze,

Ah, Troy Hurtubise! A most interesting and brave man whom I got to interview back when I free lanced. Also got to interview a Canadian reporter covering the prolific inventor. That Halo type suit grew out of his efforts as a bear researcher to create armor that would let him survive attack by a grizzly bear objecting to having blood samples taken while hibernating.   PM me if you'd like to know more about why I spoke with him, since it's way OT.

Regards,

John Kettler