Close Combat Revisited

I imagine many here cut their tactical wargaming teeth on the Close Combat series. My first real wargame was Steel Panthers, and it was a crash course in WW2 at a time when I knew little about that world-changing event. But it sparked a fire in me to learn as much as I could, which continues to this day. Back then, in the mid-90s, I also played games such as Talonsoft's Battleground Ardennes, Panzer General and those sorts of games.

But then I bought Close Combat 1 and was instantly hooked on the formula and mechanics. I liked CC1 alot, but it went to an entirely different level with CC2:ABTF. What a fantastic game. I kept buying the games as fast as Atomic could pump them out. And amazingly, those 5 games (CC1 through CC5 Invasion Normandy) were released over just 4 years.

Anyway, fast forward to a few weeks ago.... I recently bought a new house and in preparation for the move I was going through some boxes and found one that contained a treasure trove of games from around 1995 to 2005. It would take too long to list, but if there was a good wargame, shooter or simulation released in that time, it was probably in this box. A year or two ago I felt a little itch for Close Combat and visited Matrix's site. Without going in to the reasons I decided against purchasing and left that itch unscratched. And then I opened the box.

Inside were all of the early CC games and I wondered if these old games would work on my system (Win 7 Pro 64 bit). Normandy gave me the most trouble getting it to run, but I got it working. I have yet to try CC4 because I just haven't gotten around to it yet, but the others all work and I have a few screens to share and bring back good memories for those of us who loved these games (and who haven't bought the Matrix re-boots).

CC2 Battle Briefing

full-303-120395-cc2.png

Brutal Battle at Schijndel Dunes

full-303-120450-cc2companyhq.png

Day Two, as Allies. All Day One objectives completed aside from holding the 82nd's LZ. Most importantly,  the 101st has captured Son Bridge intact, and the plucky troopers of  1st paras have reached Arnhem Bridge by the end of day one.

full-303-120575-cc2supplyday2.png

The 82nd crosses the Wall to sieze the north end of Nijmegen Bridge

full-303-120626-waalcrossing.png

Day Five. History re-written and XXX Corps approaches Arnhem. We recaptured the LZ for the 82nd, but were simultaneously booted off the other 2 LZ's by German armored counterattacks.

full-303-120669-cc2dayfive.png

Close Combat 3.  My small detachment makes its opening move toward Lvov on June 22, 1941

full-303-120670-cc3.png

Close Combat 5. The 82nd Airborne moves up Le Fiere Causeway on D-Day

full-303-120706-cc5.png

Edited by landser

I know what you mean, and oftentimes the games don't stand the test of time. But not only do I want to go back, I already did. It's still fun. I've already completed campaigns on both sides in CC2, the Allies in CC5 and part way through as the Germans in CC5. CC3 campaigns aren't my favorite so I only got through two Operations before I shelved it.

If you are suggesting that games like CM will have spoiled me for games like CC, well I don't agree. But that may not be what you mean. I used to be big in to Falcon 4, but that didn't mean I wouldn't fly Strike Fighters for example.

2 hours ago, landser said:

I know what you mean, and oftentimes the games don't stand the test of time. But not only do I want to go back, I already did. It's still fun. I've already completed campaigns on both sides in CC2, the Allies in CC5 and part way through as the Germans in CC5. CC3 campaigns aren't my favorite so I only got through two Operations before I shelved it.

If you are suggesting that games like CM will have spoiled me for games like CC, well I don't agree. But that may not be what you mean. I used to be big in to Falcon 4, but that didn't mean I wouldn't fly Strike Fighters for example.

I liked CC2 a lot. CC3 less so, and beyond that I didn't venture because it was less and less what I found enchanting in CC2. But the two-player campaigns, the small-scale but gripping battles, the skirmish editor, were all great. Wonderful stuff. Vehicle bathing was a nightmare in all the games but carefully managed could be overcome. I'd gladly buy it again just to be able to play it on my Mac. Yes. CM is better in so many ways, but as a RTS game it was a lot of fun. 

6 hours ago, Bud Backer said:

I liked CC2 a lot. CC3 less so, and beyond that I didn't venture because it was less and less what I found enchanting in CC2.

I like the way CC3 handles the core forces and the requisition/refit/upgrade system. It's a good CC game, but I find something sterile about the campaign system. CC4 is sort of like CC3 on the battlefield, but without any sort of requisition or force selection in the campaign. You have to play with what you're given, which has it's own charm I suppose. CC4 introduced the strategic/operational campaign map and I like it. But CC5 made it better. For me, CC5 Invasion Normandy is the closest to CC2 in the way the battles play out.