Unbutton/Button - Waypoints

You are allowed Commands such as Move. Shoot, Arcs, etc, at different Waypoints, but wish this Option was also available for the Unbutton/Button Command...Guess this would follow under the CM Wish List Thread or somefink. 

Joe

Edited by JoMc67

Like Hide, Acquire, Deploy, Bail and Dismount, this is one of those special "all or nothing" commands. I suspect the architecture precludes this wish coming true until CMx3 at the earliest. Pause is the exception on the Special tab, and that only applies at the waypoint it's applied, not to the time spent on the movement legs between waypoints...

Edit: Another thought: "Button" is a toggle. What if the commander decides to button up on his own initiative before he gets to the point where you have operated the toggle? Does he unbutton at the point where you expected him to button up (or vice versa)? Or does the engine have to remember the state of the switch at the point the "Toggle button status" command was issued and disregard it if the toggle has already been automatically pulled? Thorny questions that reinforce my belief it's probably beyond what BFC want to do with the current engine. 

Edited by womble

On 4/29/2016 at 0:57 PM, womble said:

Like Hide, Acquire, Deploy, Bail and Dismount, this is one of those special "all or nothing" commands. I suspect the architecture precludes this wish coming true until CMx3 at the earliest. Pause is the exception on the Special tab, and that only applies at the waypoint it's applied, not to the time spent on the movement legs between waypoints...

Edit: Another thought: "Button" is a toggle. What if the commander decides to button up on his own initiative before he gets to the point where you have operated the toggle? Does he unbutton at the point where you expected him to button up (or vice versa)? Or does the engine have to remember the state of the switch at the point the "Toggle button status" command was issued and disregard it if the toggle has already been automatically pulled? Thorny questions that reinforce my belief it's probably beyond what BFC want to do with the current engine. 

Yes, and my thoughts the same...It's best suited to be one of those All-or-Nothing Commands.

And, how odd would look to see unbutton/button every waypoint (especially if you have a waypoint every 5 meters for example). Also, and to your point I think, if the engine doesn't track the event and you button due to small arms in middle of a move (before reaching a waypoint), would it count towards the upcoming waypoint or separate...If the later, then expect even more unbutton/buttoning in a turn, and that would really look odd and simply unrealistic. 

Back to the drawing board with my thoughts...

13 hours ago, mbarbaric said:

i am fairlz sure i did unbutton a tank one wazpoint before the end move in  FB

In that case, I think you unbuttoned the Tank at beginning of turn (unless it was already unbuttoned in previous turn), and in middle of a turn it buttoned-up due to small arms fire ( or commander buttoned to help as a loader ), then unbuttoned itself at end of turn ( some sort of button/unbutton cycle )...maybe ?

not really, i had the tank unbuttoned fairly far from the line in an overwatch position. my troops spoted an armored car in the valley so i wanted to move the tank into a position where it could see it. so i've buttoned it down and set quite a few waypoints unbuttoning it at penultimate so it could get the AC in sight.

4 hours ago, mbarbaric said:

not really, i had the tank unbuttoned fairly far from the line in an overwatch position. my troops spotted an armored car in the valley so i wanted to move the tank into a position where it could see it. so i've buttoned it down and set quite a few waypoints unbuttoning it at penultimate so it could get the AC in sight.

Oh wait...are you playing Turn-Based or Real-Time ?...If Real-Time, then I imagine you could Unbutton/Button anytime and as frequent. 

I should've been more clear in my original post in that it's in regards to Turn-Based.