Fantastic Forum

landser

I've been hanging about sim and gaming related websites and forums since the mid-90s, back in the usenet and Combatsim.com days, and just wanted to post that I think this Battlefront forum software is easily my favorite I've ever used. There are so many little things about it that I like, the way it notifies you of replies, the way it remembers your posts that are still in composition, the classy appearance, and well, I could go on. For many years I was on the staff as an editor and moderator of what was arguably the leading Falcon 4.0 site, which sadly is no more, so I know a little about it. I wish we had used this software. Incidentally, another member of the staff from that forum is a member here as well.

It's just one more thing about the Battlefront experience that is top-notch.

IMO it is not perfect; there are several minor niggling things that annoy me from time to time, but on the whole it is definitely a step up. I like it too. One feature that I recently discovered and find very handy is that if you highlight some text, a popup appears asking if you want to quote this. Clicking on that opens a composition window with just that text in it, which saves a lot of selection and deletion.

:)

Michael

• 2 weeks later...
On April 24, 2016 at 5:54 AM, Michael Emrys said:

IMO it is not perfect; there are several minor niggling things that annoy me from time to time...

I think it is maybe time for an accounting of some of those problems as a couple of them are not so minor.

One is that several times over the last month or two I've wanted to quote a post so that I could respond to it, but when I clicked on the Quote button, instead of getting a quote of the post of interest, the Forum software serves up a completely different post, often from a previous page of the thread. While it is still possible to copy and paste the relevant material in a new post, information such as the author and time of posting gets lost. I rate this as vexatious.

Secondly, loading of pages is often slow, sometimes infuriatingly so. There have been times when after a minute or two when nothing whatsoever has happened, I simply move on to another website or do something else. This has been observed for the past two or three months at least.

Those are the biggest gripes I have. Should they get fixed, I have a small list of lesser ones.

Michael

1 hour ago, Michael Emrys said:

One is that several times over the last month or two I've wanted to quote a post so that I could respond to it, but when I clicked on the Quote button, instead of getting a quote of the post of interest, the Forum software serves up a completely different post, often from a previous page of the thread

If you highlight the passage you want to quote you should get a small "quote this" tab which we you click does the above.

p

50 minutes ago, Pete Wenman said:

If you highlight the passage you want to quote you should get a small "quote this" tab which we you click does the above.

Which is what I usually do. But in the circumstances I described above, it doesn't seem to work. The Forum software insists on sending me somewhere I don't want to go.

Michael

1 hour ago, Michael Emrys said:

Which is what I usually do. But in the circumstances I described above, it doesn't seem to work. The Forum software insists on sending me somewhere I don't want to go

Just to be sure we are talking about the same thing - I click on quote this and it works fine.

me1.jpg

10 hours ago, Michael Emrys said:

Which is what I usually do. But in the circumstances I described above, it doesn't seem to work. The Forum software insists on sending me somewhere I don't want to go.

Michael

Sounds like Problem Exists Between Keyboard and Chair to me. That, or you're using a terribly outdated browser.

4 hours ago, LukeFF said:

Sounds like Problem Exists Between Keyboard and Chair to me. That, or you're using a terribly outdated browser.

Why would you say that? I triple checked to make sure I wasn't doing anything wrong, and my browser is Safari v9.1, which I keep up to date.

Michael

When I use the Quote function (doubtless a miraculous event to see after all these years), seeking to simply quote a small block of highlighted text, the blasted thing copies the entire post. This forces me to go in and prune away everything I sought to exclude to begin with. Also, even though the quote seems well defined on my page, when I try to add my own text outside of it, the quote box simply expands to include what I've written. this is not only annoying, but it distorts the original quote. It would also be helpful if the Search function could be tweaked to take three letter search terms. Many is the time I've sought a post, only to be undone by a most annoying search phrase size limit. Finally, I would very much like to see the Post Resurrect feature we had before returned. I refer to the one in which the computer burped in mid post and the post vanished, but could be restored by keying anything in the now blank box.

Regards,

John Kettler

Edited by John Kettler

I've just remembered another thing that gripes my ass. On the rare occasions when I have quoted something but then subsequently screwed up the post, there seems no way to delete the whole thing and go back to square one and start again. You are stuck with your screwed up post. At that point I just give up the whole effort.

Michael

On 5/6/2016 at 3:18 PM, Michael Emrys said:

Why would you say that? I triple checked to make sure I wasn't doing anything wrong, and my browser is Safari v9.1, which I keep up to date.

Michael

Not to state the obvious here but...try another browser?