Advise for "Lanzerath ridge"

A german inf-company has to pass an open field.... on the other side some GI's are waiting...

Didn't manage to get across the open. It reminds me on shooting rabbits ;-)

Seriously, i know all the stuff with fire base and so on. Which orders do you give your Landsers to survive?

Edited by Hafer

Split squads, spread out and suppress the US HMGs. Cross in bounds to divide their attention. Then cross your fingers and hope for some luck. There are also some places with cover along the slope. Get down to camera one to check.

Edited by rocketman

LOL withdraw back to town.

This scenario is based around what the German commanders actually did that morning - try to cross the open field into the US fire.  Later in the day when they actually succeeded in clearing out the US soldiers they flanked the US position several hundred meters along the woods back from the village and came at them through the forest.

In this scenario the only real way you can get anywhere is to pour fire onto the ridge as best you can at every opportunity.  The upper floors of the houses help some of the MG's get a better view.  Try to move less and fire more at the beginning but once you start trying to cross the open ground look for any depressions you can find and just keep forcing forward until you make the treeline.  Honestly the best I have ever managed was to get a few guys onto the objective.  Which I don't think even got me a draw - I forget exactly.  Some one did manage a pretty good showing though - well relatively.

5 minutes ago, Hafer said:

A german inf-company has to pass an open field.... on the other side are some GI's waiting...

Seriously, i know all the stuff with fire base and so on. Which orders do you give your Landsers to survive?

Thanx for the quick reply. Didn't try to spit squads. Nice advice! :-) For the terrain analysis i can recommend the gridded-snow-mod.

10 minutes ago, IanL said:

LOL withdraw back to town.

This scenario is based around what the German commanders actually did that morning - try to cross the open field into the US fire.  Later in the day when they actually succeeded in clearing out the US soldiers they flanked the US position several hundred meters along the woods back from the village and came at them through the forest.

In this scenario the only real way you can get anywhere is to pour fire onto the ridge as best you can at every opportunity.  The upper floors of the houses help some of the MG's get a better view.  Try to move less and fire more at the beginning but once you start trying to cross the open ground look for any depressions you can find and just keep forcing forward until you make the treeline.  Honestly the best I have ever managed was to get a few guys onto the objective.  Which I don't think even got me a draw - I forget exactly.  Some one did manage a pretty good showing though - well relatively.

Another great advice! Thanx. Did you use area fire every 10 meters?

Nothing so mathematical.  I just made sure that known and suspected position were always being fired upon.  Even when I was getting guys moving I still held other units still to keep up the rate of fire.  You can have teams moving forward two actions squares (about 16m) but have one team pause for 20s and fire while the other team moves and at the end of the move give them a 20s pause and a target order.  If you keep alternating with multiple teams you can have some teams shooting and some teams moving at all times.  I did not set things up so rigid like that. Perhaps that would have been better.  I spent a lot of time not moving at first and just firing.

Open the Scenario and give yourself 3 hours.

Seriously I played it twice and won (as the US.).

If it been 10-15 more minutes it would have been a Total Defeat for me against the AI. Your enemy isn't the MG's-it's the time constraints.

And the real enemy is Snow. Running in that crap makes your men Tired faster then anything.

Edited by Tempestzzzz

16 hours ago, Hafer said:

A german inf-company has to pass an open field.... on the other side some GI's are waiting...

This is a breakdown of the battle portrayed in this scenario, the germans too a pretty good beating in this one so dont feel bad if you do too