MML - anti UAV

http://defense-update.com/20150328_mml.html

Not news to any regular defense-update.com follower,  but it seems to have reached a critical milestone. 

While stated as aimed at UAV/cruise missiles,  I could see it being an additional threat layer for Helos. 

Played a RUS v US game last night. My friend went after my T90 company with apache's,  my Tungu shot them down in minutes, quickly followed by his Shadows. 

My own Zalas were completely unmolested - what options does the US have in-game v drones? 

15 minutes ago, kinophile said:

http://defense-update.com/20150328_mml.html

Not news to any regular defense-update.com follower,  but it seems to have reached a critical milestone. 

While stated as aimed at UAV/cruise missiles,  I could see it being an additional threat layer for Helos. 

Played a RUS v US game last night. My friend went after my T90 company with apache's,  my Tungu shot them down in minutes, quickly followed by his Shadows. 

My own Zalas were completely unmolested - what options does the US have in-game v drones? 

I don't think the US can shoot down Zalas in game. 

The bigger picture - you could up the electronic warfare so transmission of radio messages becomes impossible. But I forget how that's implemented in game... Let me see ...I just checked, there is an Electronic Warfare menu for QB setup but its an up-front parameter, both sides know what the ECM strength is going in. So why would someone purchase a lot of drones if you're opponent is jamming everything?

10 hours ago, Aurelius said:

Stingers can only shoot down Pchela and Orlan. On the other hand, Ukr 'Guska can destroy Zala.

Actually, I just lost 2 Zalas, and all he had was stingers. 

On another note - US Abrams APS can intercept and defeat a high angle, top down, terminal velocity 500kg bomb?

Gimme a break. This is a little ridiculous. I know I'm probably opening a can of worms, and I am in no way qualified (technically or experience) to say it,  but I call complete bull**** on this. The game is set in 2017, not 2050.

I rarely play with APS for the US and this kind of nonsense is exactly why.

Edited by kinophile

48 minutes ago, kinophile said:

Actually, I just lost 2 Zalas, and all he had was stingers. 

Did the air controller that called them in get killed by chance? Because micro UAVs cannot be targeted by SAMs.

48 minutes ago, kinophile said:

On another note - US Abrams APS can intercept and defeat a high angle, top down, terminal velocity 500kg bomb?

Gimme a break. This is a little ridiculous. I know I'm probably opening a can of worms, and I am in no way qualified (technically or experience) to say it,  but I call complete bull**** on this. The game is set in 2017, not 2050.

I rarely play with APS for the US and this kind of nonsense is exactly why.

I don't know about the 500kg bomb, but I have seen the 1525kg bomb dropped on a Abrams with APS

CU9jX3.jpg

kinophile,

Most interesting. Naturally, this won't be operational until after our time frame. Gah!

Vanir Ausf B,

I wonder why we get such nice craters in the ground yet somehow can't get trenches that do that? The tank's position reminds me of a story told by a guy who used to crew a 75 mm Skysweeper AAG, which was towed by the M8 Tractor. Someone asked the driver (not the later story teller) "How do you emplace the tractor?" "Oh, it's easy. You just put one track in forward and the other in reverse and down you go, like this." As he was happily finishing that very thing, along came the next question. "Great, but how do you get it out?"

Skysweeper. Love that name!

Regards,

John Kettler

Edited by John Kettler