"mouseholing" no longer possible?

I could swear that it used to be possible to fire out from windowless walls that had holes in them. But now when I am trying this in the game, it is not possible. Am I remembering wrong?

In fact, I strongly seems to me that you didn't even have to have visible holes in the wall - just having a couple of salvoes of riles hitting it would "soften it" and make it possible to fire from there.

Honestly I don't ever recall seeing that.  What I did see occasionally is troops firing through the vertices at corners.

I look for windowless walls as safe locations for breach teams so I am pretty certain it hasn't been a feature.  Then again I am getting older and more senile everyday....

I've done some testing now, and it seems we're talking about a bug. The problem is with barns. You can fire from the sides without windows as if there were windows or doors. This is probably what I remember, and at that time thought it was a feature.

Update: It's only happening with the barn that has 1 level. The barn with two levels seems to be working fine.

Edited by Bulletpoint

Think I remember from some older thread that some the barns are considered to be rather of crude construction and despite not showing windows or openings, do have some holes large enough for peeking rifles and guns through them. That´s sort of abstraction, like slightly damaged buildings who do not show small holes and minor damage graphically as well. Only BFC knows for sure...

I concur with RH, I've always considered the construction of barns to have an in game effect, even if not clearly visible on screen. They are possible to fire out of, but also a dangerous place to linger if the enemy know you are in there. Machine gun bullets will begin to penetrate a barn wall pretty quickly.

I agree that perhaps they should look different. Although it isn't just a question of "wooden construction with gaps between the planks". Barns were constructed in a variety of ways across north-western Europe. From rough stone, to three or four courses of brick base with wooden walls, all wood, or even iron framed. I think the game handles how their construction affected combat well. But, they do look a bit too solid both vanilla and modded. Perhaps some of the modders might try not only making them look weathered, but also less well built. Although I realize that is probably easier said, than done 

Decades ago, a guy was showing me some photos he took while visiting a cousin's farm in Norway. Included were a couple shots of a barn for pigs. Up to the height of a man, the walls were of dressed stone and mortar and above that was timbered. The other thing that struck me was how incredibly clean this building was. A barn for pigs and it looked clean enough that you could eat your dinner off the floor. Made me wonder if OCD isn't a Norwegian invention.

;)

Michael

It's worth noting that just because something is called a barn in game doesn't mean you have to use that structure in a map to represent the structures that were there in the real world. I guess barn skins are more variable than I thought, since I always think of them as looking wooden, ground to rooftree, not "cinderblock". I think the abstractions applicable to all buildings are going to require some flexibility of opinion from the players, barns being no exception.