British 2ic units?

They have no radio icon, and are not in c2 with the CO, how are they allowed to call in arty strikes?simulated wire connections?

As far as I know, all HQ-esque units that can call artillery without having a radio are presumed to have an abstracted field telephone ( quite a lot of Russian HQ's in CMRT are like this ).

Normally they start missions on board a radio equipped jeep. It isn't very often that they don't, although that is down to the individual scenario designer. Even if they dismount from the jeep they should still be able to call in arty if they remain within voice contact of it's driver.

nowhere near the driver

They have no radio icon, and are not in c2 with the CO, how are they allowed to call in arty strikes?simulated wire connections?

A simulated wire connection.  This also surprised me when I first discovered it.  I had mostly used my XO units for Medic work until/unless their boss became KIA.  I have started to use them more often to call in supporting fires now.  HQ and XO units (if the XO unit takes over) need a radio for chain of command purposes but not for calling in arty.   

"A simulated wire connection" is this in the manual somewhere?

No, I don't think so.  I just did a quick check and could not find it anyways.  The wired field telephone abstraction also applies to F/Os in addition to HQs and XOs and is discussed every once in a while on the forum.  Below is a link to another thread talking about it.  I experienced this situation every few months during PBEMs.  Below are screenshots of one of the field telephone abstractions.  The thing that is new to me is the XO calling in fire missions while the CO is still alive.       

http://community.battlefront.com/topic/115582-engineer-hq-artillery/#comment-1540117

No%20Radio%20Arty%20Call%201_zpsn0jsb8ls

No%20Radio%20Arty%20Call%202._zpst36y9no

Rank deterimines ability to access artillery (that doesn't require FO).  If a unit has an individual of sufficient rank, the unit can call artillery.  If that individual gets zapped, the unit will lose the ability.  Field telephones, runners, etc. are justifications for not requiring radio C2, but there is no explicit simulation of these comms on particular units.

Rank deterimines ability to access artillery (that doesn't require FO).  If a unit has an individual of sufficient rank, the unit can call artillery.  <Snip> 

Yes. For me this is the interesting part that I stumbled across about a month ago.  I remember threads on the forum dedicated to what was the best use of the XO (2ic) teams.  Off the top of my head, some players deleted them and used the points on other units, some issued the XO unit an AT weapon and sent them tank hunting and others, including myself, used them as medics and of course to assume command if the CO buys the farm.  

I have now started to use the XO team to follow the lead platoon(s) and call indirect fire when a high value target (HVT) is spotted.  This allows the platoon HQs to continue to move with their fire teams and keep the fire teams in C2 while the XO team stays stationary (in the second floor of a building or whatever) and handles the mortar/arty coordination. 

Every time I think I have the game more or less figured out I learn something new.  Cool game.