Battlefront is now Slitherine ×

Very strange spotting issue

I had a very strange spotting issue in a current game. An HQ spotted, and fully identified a tank, just some 20 m away, with its back turned to them. I was kinda desperate so I decided to run around a house, away from the tank's front, to lob a few granades on it. I had a armor only cover arc just in case. I arrived at the spot and the tank was gone. I sat there for a full turn and couldn't figure it out...

see%20you%202_zps9ed93mpr.png

... well, it was there all along and made my pay for it in hot led. Strange that they neither saw it or heard it. Especially after having previous knowledge of its presence.

see%20you%201_zpspvmbip9s.png

Something looks odd with your screen shots because it looks like you have the HQ unit highlighted (the bases are there) yet the highlighted unit appears to be located at the outer edge of the armored covered arc with there being no obvious unit in the shot that would be the center of the arc (unless there is a cowering guy at the back - I don't know what that is near the building?).  I thought you said that the HQ unit had spotted the vehicle, yet in your screen shot with the HQ unit apparently highlighted you only show a spot icon so something isn't adding up between the screen shots and what you are explaining.  Do you have anymore screen shots that can show the situation a little more clearly because it appears that the ones you are showing us are perhaps combined in some way?

Edited by ASL Veteran
adjust one sentence

That does look weird with the cover arc (could it be the low camera angle that cuts out the near part?). Didn't notice myself. IIRC they were a four man HQ so no one is missing from the shot. They had spotted the tank from their previous position so they knew it should be there or thereabouts. Reason for the unit being marked in the top one was to show they couldn't see the tank and the bottom one is no unit at all marked, which I guess is what my opponent/tank saw, since it turned around and killed my team. I'm afraid I have no more screenies.

Well your description is still not really matching the screen shot because you said

' I was kinda desperate so I decided to run around a house, away from the tank's front, to lob a few granades on it.'

Yet the HQ unit you have highlighted appears to be very close to the front of the tank.  What house did they run around?  Is that a house just off the screen to the right?  If they ran out of that house and that was the house that was in front of the tank then the unit that you have highlighted doesn't appear to have improved its position much by leaving that house and moving to the open there because they are almost in the same position as the house is.  The tank appears to be within grenade range of the house that the HQ unit is sitting outside of. 

Just so I understand - you are saying that this HQ unit that we see in the screen shot sat there for a full minute and never spotted the tank sitting virtually adjacent to them on the pavement?  Do you have a save game that someone can take a look at?

Regardless, you'd think they'd see the tank! (I know smoke is on because I can see a pyre rising in the background.) The spotting cycle takes ~6 seconds, give or take. Depending on how long they'd been there, it may either be an artifact of the spotting system or something worse. (My money is on the spotting cycle.)

Savegame?

Ken

Well your description is still not really matching the screen shot because you said

' I was kinda desperate so I decided to run around a house, away from the tank's front, to lob a few granades on it.'

Yet the HQ unit you have highlighted appears to be very close to the front of the tank.  What house did they run around?  Is that a house just off the screen to the right?  If they ran out of that house and that was the house that was in front of the tank then the unit that you have highlighted doesn't appear to have improved its position much by leaving that house and moving to the open there because they are almost in the same position as the house is.  The tank appears to be within grenade range of the house that the HQ unit is sitting outside of. 

Just so I understand - you are saying that this HQ unit that we see in the screen shot sat there for a full minute and never spotted the tank sitting virtually adjacent to them on the pavement?  Do you have a save game that someone can take a look at?

The house they were in previously was about two actions squares back from the screenshot. So I rushed forward using a house as cover (which is just to the left of the screenshot) while the tank had its back to the intended assault position. The screenshot show that the tank managed to both spot and turn around, before my men even spotted it. They finally did when one man remained, who lobbed a granade and then died.

I'll check for save.

YES! He lobbed a grenade and died...GLORIOUSLY!  I think this should satisfy everyone, no?

;)

Save would be good to see. (Not that it helps you now...)

I knew it would appeal to you. Dying gloriously is your MO - right ;)

I would like to think that one grenade was enough to freak it out so it backed into some Pz IV fire.

I didn't quite remember correctly. It wasn't a full turn before they spotted the tank, but way to late IMHO. But the tank spotted them instantly. What is a buttoned Sherman's spotting ability to the side/rear?

Here is the file. It is a PBEM without password, just press ENTER.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/6y0gwp2hms76r0y/~Termoli new 082.ema?dl=0

It is the HQ down by the railroad station. Try selecting the HQ and tank back and forth to check spotting.

Edited by rocketman

Yeah. That's...puzzling. They're +2 Nervous, but they should still see a 30+ ton tank 10 feet away. It took 30+ seconds before the Sherman fired on them. (About 12 seconds after they came around the corner for the tank to rotate: the rest was taken by acquiring the HQ in their sights.)

I'll toss it up the chain and see if anything can be gleaned from it.

Thanks for the file/password.

Ken

I remember a similar case way back when BN was new. I had a bazooka-team with a cover arc (no armor arc back then) forward 45 degrees. They didn't spot or react to a tank that parked right behind them. Can it be a case of arcs and really close distances that causes the problem?

Thanks for taking a look at it.

I remember a similar case way back when BN was new. I had a bazooka-team with a cover arc (no armor arc back then) forward 45 degrees. They didn't spot or react to a tank that parked right behind them. Can it be a case of arcs and really close distances that causes the problem?

Did they spot it though? There's a big difference between "spotting mechanisms" and "self preservation overriding orders".

Did they spot it though? There's a big difference between "spotting mechanisms" and "self preservation overriding orders".

They didn't spot it at all. The were positioned behind a house in the open and the tank parked right behind them. Even though the had a cover arc to the opposite side I would have expected either: 1) turn around and fire that bazooka - probably the best chance of surviving; or 2) run into the house and hide.