Battlefront is now Slitherine ×

A strange result in a close range engagement between an M1A2 and a BMP

At 15 meters no less! A knife fight would be understating the situation :D

...and then Tovaritsch Ken leapt from the vehicle, clambered onto the dirty capitalist tank, and with  his service pistol in one hand and a grenade in the other leapt BODILY INTO THE TANK firing wildly, only to leap valiantly out just a few seconds later. Then there was a burst of smoke from the Abrams' commander's hatch and smoke could be seen drifting upwards. When he returned Ken's face was smeared with the blood of his enemies and he held the glean of only a True Hero of The Soviet Union in his manic eyes. 

All he said to us was "see? You have to ATTACK!"

Edited by Artemis258

Generally speaking, the TacAI favors the weapon that has the most plentiful ammo that will do the job under most circumstances.  Optimally it does not engage in overkill shots unless there's nothing else available to do the job.  Generally speaking this is the correct behavior, as has been discussed above.

Obviously sometimes this logic doesn't do the trick.  Firing at the front of a BMP with an unfavorable angle might be enough to tip the scales in favor of a main gun round instead.  We have to keep in mind that crews do not get out a protractor, calculator, and graph paper to double check their chances of success.  Which means sometimes the crew makes the wrong call for the specific situation.

If you guys see things like this on a regular basis then something might be wrong.  Either the TacAI needs a tweak or perhaps some ballistic characteristic is off the mark.  Definitely keep an eye open for matchups between Abrams and BMPs and mentally note how many times the BMPs go boom and the weapon used as well as when they don't go boom and what weapon was used.

Steve

Generally speaking, the TacAI favors the weapon that has the most plentiful ammo that will do the job under most circumstances.  Optimally it does not engage in overkill shots unless there's nothing else available to do the job.  Generally speaking this is the correct behavior, as has been discussed above.

Obviously sometimes this logic doesn't do the trick.  Firing at the front of a BMP with an unfavorable angle might be enough to tip the scales in favor of a main gun round instead.  We have to keep in mind that crews do not get out a protractor, calculator, and graph paper to double check their chances of success.  Which means sometimes the crew makes the wrong call for the specific situation.

If you guys see things like this on a regular basis then something might be wrong.  Either the TacAI needs a tweak or perhaps some ballistic characteristic is off the mark.  Definitely keep an eye open for matchups between Abrams and BMPs and mentally note how many times the BMPs go boom and the weapon used as well as when they don't go boom and what weapon was used.

Steve

It was a veteran crew. Maybe te AP machinegun ammo needs some testijng

Maybe the situation was a one off. I for one don't normally engage in tank v BMP knife fights although in close terrain such a thing is possible. If there is a bug here should we call it "the knife fight bug?" :D That said some testing of these circumstances and this matchup might be needed to determine whether what happened was unique or whether I inadvertently found something. Also whether anyone else has had a similar incident

Still waiting to hear if your tank fired .50.

Pix of the ammo state prior and post attack would allow for a determination of that.

(And Artemis258 has it right. ;) You should've ordered your Abrams crew to Dismount and a charge the BMP. Their display of moral superiority would've unhinged the Russian defense. )

Still waiting to hear if your tank fired .50.

Pix of the ammo state prior and post attack would allow for a determination of that.

(And Artemis258 has it right. ;) You should've ordered your Abrams crew to Dismount and a charge the BMP. Their display of moral superiority would've unhinged the Russian defense. )

I thought I had mentioned I do not know the answer to that question. I did not check or record that information.

I thought I had mentioned I do not know the answer to that question. I did not check or record that information.

Today's lesson: when you see weird stuff happen, save the turn somewhere. If you play RT, it's going to be harder to identify what went on.

Lesson 2: why are you putting tanks in close terrain without infantry? MBT guns have kilometer ranges for a reason.