Javelin vs Laser Designator

I've been noticing a minor issue, for a while now, where equipment I've acquired during the set-up phase of RT H2H games disappears once the battle has begun.  I can't recall whether it happens on all the difficulty levels, but I know it happens on Iron.  Some examples; Recently I brought a mech company, without dismounts.  I used dismounted scout platoons as my line infantry, and had each squad, broken down by team, collect AT-4s from the Bradleys.  Upon beginning all the AT-4s disappeared.  

Happens quite a bit to my super vision FIST-Javelin teams as well.  My workaround presently is to equip this stuff after the setup phase.

Also have had an issue where some TOW teams' deploy button disappears once the game begins, but I need to research the conditions on this problem more.  

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

@kinophile Military ground forces measure angle with Mils as opposed to Degrees.  A compass with 360 degrees will have 6400 mils, or 17.777 mils per degree.  I've left the zeros off my compass in-game, those numbers would read 6400, 0800, 1600, 2400 etc.  North can be expressed as 0 mils or 6400 mils, south as 3200 mils etc.  

Mils as units of angle are what enables use of the mil dot formula or the equation that I was describing in reference to the reticle I built for determining range to a target.

Edited by TheForwardObserver

Lmao. Theres another Snowden whose actually a big contributor to BFC and our scenarios or whatnot. You.ll also see Clark. Thats my.last name. See before BN was released BFC opend a thread and offered to let us throw out our last names to be randomly assigned to troops ( obviously english or american names fr allies etc ) so Im 99 percent the BFC contribuyor and frequent board member tossed his name in as did I.

I also always take a lot of pleasure out of target briefly being able to be added in 15 min increments. Vinnart and I both suggestdd the idea at  the same time. Idk who did first but it was within the same hour. I also derive much pleasure because before one patch i suggested that the mg bursts were too mechanical. It used to literally be 5 bullet bursts. Every time. I suggested randomizing it. 5 here 8 there 3 there etc. Idk if someone else in the beta forums  beat me to it or anything but i know rhat out here noone did so i feel like thats my pet imprvement to my fav line of games ive been playing almost 20 yrs now. 

Now if only theyd make me a beta tester. Lol.

Edited by Sublime

@Sublime That's awesome, and I'm a big fan of target briefly and the functioning of the MGs.  Those little gestures for sure encourage some loyalty.  It's a good shop they're running around here.  Wish I'd gotten here earlier but CM didn't show up on my radar until one night I'm sitting around painting my army of Airfix 1/32 commandos and paras focusing my chi and I decide randomly to google best computer wargames.  Saw it listed on a top ten, checked out the demo for normandy, got the game and eventually the modules and I was hooked.  I played C.C. back in the 90s but man things got busy in the years in between.

Well it proves that BFC takes suggestions and Ive seen many others find and point out way more major issues and or historical details.

And of course all their scenario designers and beta testers arent even paid as far as I know - the game is  true labor of love and it really just feels that way more than any other  game I play though I love many others none am I ever so confident that if poster X proves that M4A3 variants were used one the last two days of a  mnth they previously werent available in BFC will probably adress it next patch.

And hey I could be wrong - for aĺl I know a beta tester submitted the mg burst randomness idea etc on the private company  boards first

But I think Im right... ;)

Also FO mind im talking about how mg bursts use random bullet amounts now not the famous 'dialing up' of MGs which I was part of the angry mob demanding it but DEFINITELY not the sole person or person driving the movement with tests etc. IMO single most important change to the game engine and if anyone here remembers playing x2 before the MG effectiveness was increased Id think theyd agree with me they feel a lot more realistic now. (for someone whose never seen service or combat )

@Sublime Rightfully so.  One of the things I enjoy about these CM games, and this forum, is that there's a healthy chorus of people encouraging tweaks that improve the relationship between the game and reality- where as *everywhere* else it seems quite the opposite.  The diverse interests and focus of the players means there's a whole lot of scrutiny on a pretty wide variety of details.  Good stuff.  Probably a pain for the devs.

There do seem to be some misconceptions about fire support here though, and the occasional bit of bad or out of date data, but that actually mirrors exactly what you find across the board in the Army as well.  I reckon those opinions are shaped by limited exposure to artillery during their periods of service, as well as the absurd SOPs (not doctrine) and pseudo-doctrines that have sprung forth from the womb of low intensity conflict.  Obviously that's an incomplete assessment, but I digress.

Yes. However in our defense theres been comments and minor complaints about the sort of inaccuracy of the arty system etc.

As far as my argument is the biggest game changing tweak the game ever have - what other CM tweak has had people redo entire 20 ( 20 right? ) scenario campaigns over the change

Edited by Sublime

I've just been investigating the older posts on the CMBS forum for artillery topics

-Saw some less common munitions shoutouts ICM/DPICM/FASCAM etc.  The question of REPEAT FFE.  The laying of guns on pre-planned targets.  Rocket and Missile Artillery.  Some nuanced discussion on fire support coordination measures, and battlespace/airspace deconfliction.  Shake and Bake missions along with WP in general.  Combat victory tallies for off map fire support.  Round count for the guns and how this is affected by which munitions are fired.  SEAD.  Area denial.  Volume of fire for each of the game's types of FFEs.  The effects of 155mm HE against armor.  Laser designators and rangefinders.  Even call for fire privileges for radio operators has been discussed laterally on the boards for the other titles.

Fire Support people are all the same.  Too funny.  

Actually, carpenters and surveyors like math, too. Carpenters can figure hip, valley and jack rafters, stairs and doors while surveyors reduce stadia, close perimeters and zero out leveling runs. And then there's that whole scale thing, rotating to north and drawing Reports of Survey. Sailors sort of like math, there's a lot of north, true north, compass north, deviation and the whole fuel, current and course issue, but you wouldn't want your daughter to marry a sailor. Don't even get me started about the great circle. If you really want to get wrapped around the axle by math, read Bowditch. Studying Bowditch is like studying the dictionary without the fun, or reading the section of the Old Testament about who begat who.

If you're strong, but you can't do math, you become an ironworker. If you don't like heights, you set chokers for loggers. So there's always the deep woods. And they like fresh, young boys.

Edited by Jammersix

• 2 weeks later...

My brother was in the BA (signals). He said Officers are a separate race unto themselves, composed of a weird mix of ignorant haughtiness, courage and blind stubbornness. The umbrellas were possible the dumbest thing he could imagine someone carrying, but some of them had read those stories about the Arnhem bridge and latched on to it with all the desperate anxiety of an acne-covered teenager using a scarf to mask his baby-scaring ugliness. Not a very encouraging  trait to see in your unit leader, in the modern world.

Edited by kinophile