The Face...AI

Currently building some "real time" verses AI scenarios... one problem with the AI I am experencing in game play, is that it often faces armour the wrong way to what you intended, during its planned moves as a defender. 

Wondered whether this may a nice inclusion for future engines to include a face command on the "AI" boxs, perhaps this has been requested before, or is there a way round it I have overlooked? 

This is a longstanding issue which is most noticeable with vehicles. 

It is often described that the AI will face the next waypoint,and this is pretty much true, although it might be more accurate to state the a vehicle will face the direction it was last travelling.

Do you have Black Sea as I have a test file I can let you have that shows this in action and the workarounds that can be used

P

Units following an AI Plan will tend to 'face' the direction of their next order. You can use this to ensure the next AI plan order is in the direction you want me to face. e.g. have an AI unit pull back, but have the movement order painted beyond where you want them to eventually take position. Then have them, on the next order, move up to the position. It takes a bit of fiddling to get right, and it's still a fudge at the end of the day.

It's on my personal 'wish list' to have an AI planning command that tells em what direction to face.

Give me 10 minutes and I'll re do it in BN

edit have a look at this

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/5530406/f1.btt

AI grp 1 is the control.

Gr2 & Gr4 are work arounds for the facing issue 

Gr3 is a move once option.

Play this as a battle - select Axis player in scenario author mode.

This will let you see the AI working.

Just hit the BRB to get things going.

Its worth looking at this in both RT and WEGO as it does affect how things work in each - as it's not quite the same.

Any questions just yell

P

Edited by Pete Wenman