AI Tanks Select Target By Threat Level Or?

I am just wondering if in combat mission the tanks select armor to engage based on threat to own self?

example: a stuart tank sees two targets, a half track with only an mg and also sees a half-track with a 75mm inf gun

Does the AI go for the half-track with the inf gun instead of the mg?? I hope so..

It would be the logical thing for any tanker to take out the highest threat to self first. aka priority targets.

Does the game do this or no?

Edited by user1000

I don't have the game, ;)  although I tried the demo. I'm still hooked on playing the three CM1 games, just got them all patched to latest.

Oooo, bad user1000, bad user1000!   :D I bet you still use an 8 Track player in your Ford Pinto!  Just kidding (but you should really make the jump).

Oooo, bad user1000, bad user1000!   :D I bet you still use an 8 Track player in your Ford Pinto!  Just kidding (but you should really make the jump).

Absolutely nothing wrong with CMAK CMBB or CBBO.

I'll probably end up buying them again so I can get DRM free versions.

I can recall quite a few instances of facing down a lone panther with my two Shermans, one of them a Firefly ... guess which of mine the Panther targets first?

Yep, always plinks the Firefly first - even when, from a front on aspect, it shouldn't be *that* obvious which is which - leaving the 75mm armed Sherman to be finished off next at leisure.

Definite threat priortisation taking place in my experience ....

All I can offer is anecdotal evidence based on my own experiences playing for many years now.

Yes, the tactical AI tries to have tanks engage targets based on threat level, but I (and probably no one except the BFC coders) don't know the limits of this.

Examples:

A tank will target a AT team over an infantry squad (say, at a distance of 100 meters).

A Panther will target a Sherman 76 over a halftrack. I don't know if the AI is smart enough to differentiate between a Sherman 75 Vs Sherman 76.

Most tanks in my experience will target mortar teams over regular infantry.

Light tanks are "smart enough" not to target medium or heavy tanks from the front. In fact, they will probably pop smoke and reverse.

Edited by Doug Williams