Anthology CDV

There are mods to replace the flags with swastika flags, and mods to replace the little unit icons with the ss runes and swastikas in the scenario screen.

As for "waffen granadier" In the unit names, I believe this cannot be changed in CMBO but can be changed with a user made patch in CMBB and CMAK.

www.combatmission.com has all the flags and stuff I think. www.cmmods.com will probably have the rest.

Originally posted by Hoolaman:

There are mods to replace the flags with swastika flags, and mods to replace the little unit icons with the ss runes and swastikas in the scenario screen.

Which brings up an interesting historic question... would swastikas actually be the correct iconography to represent troop positions?

Or would the Balkenkreuz been used? After all, it was the national identification sign, both before, during, and after WWII (and to this day).

I don't really know. Anyone?

• 3 weeks later...

Oddly enough, I actually prefer the balkenkreuz as a German hidden unit marker. I think the swastika would be appropriate if the Germans in a particular scenario are SS troops or maybe Fallschirmjaeger, but I know too many WWII German veterans who were simply patriotic Germans doing what they perceived as their duty, even though they couldn't stand Hitler's politics. Without straying too close to the fortunately defunct political forum, there are a lot of Americans in Iraq who are Democrats -- imagine how they would feel fifty years from now if someone used the Repulbican elephant as their hidden unit marker just because the republicans happened to be running the country.

The analogy is weak, of course, because the Nazi party symbol got elevated to a national symbol as well. But I think that either the balkenkreuz or the iron cross (in either its bowdlerized or WWII-era version) make very good inclusive national symbols for all branches of the service. And they're very good designs, too.

You might want to take a look at the different options available in the CMMOS vexillography mod over at CMHQ if you're interested in the Reichskriegflagge or the Hakenkreuzfahne. You should also take a look at Juju's German flag pack as well. Note that the iron cross and the balkenkreuz are both included in the design of the most all-inclusive German flag, the Reichskriegfanhne (National War Flag). You might also want to take a look at Mark Gallear's mod site.

I was referring to the screen where you select the battles.

Instead of a WG icon it replaces ss runes. I think it also puts in new icons for FG and VS.

As for the in-game unit markers, I suppose the balkenkreuz would correspond to the star and circle for US and british troops rather than a swatika.