How are we doing with Fuego??

fry30

I was wondering where BF stood with regard to fire. I find it coming up in accounts of the Eastern Front. I know it was included in CMx1, I know this might be beating a dead horse... But again, I think fire should be improved within the game. I say improved, as I have seen it within a battle myself. I will include a screen shot to show you what I mean.... An Ot-34 hit a house full of Germans with about 3 long flame bursts. I'd imagine the house would become destroyed. (destroyed= un- occupy-able)

post-70278-0-74919600-1428952087_thumb.j

You can even see the smoke coming off the fire, we're almost there!!

post-70278-0-59831800-1428952127_thumb.j

And incase anyone doubts the veracity of my previous statements, here's a picture of the in game attack that set the house on fire (it was actually 4 long bursts)...

post-70278-0-18011900-1428952239_thumb.j

And finally, here's what the house actually looks like, from the opponent's point of view (this was after our ceasefire) :

post-70278-0-42169700-1428952324_thumb.j

-----------------

*** My only other question/comment is... can we fix the trees within the game? I understand they are abstracted, sometimes I find myself walking or driving trying to figure out LOS into the woods near me... its hard to see. But I, and I will cite sources if anyone's interested, keep coming across mention of entire forests being destroyed by Soviet and German firepower. I was reading specifically about Operation Bagration, and apparently in the fighting over Tower and Grenadier Hill during the Battle of Narva (at the Tannenberg Line specifically) :

"The morning of 29 July began with the preparatory artillery fire of 25,000 shells fired by the Soviets. The bombardment covered the Tannenberg Line in a dust cloud. The forest on the Sinimäed Hills was entirely destroyed, with the trees cut down to a height of two–three metres. " (Sinimäed 1944: Battles of World War II in Northeast Estonia).

EDIT: PS... we already have the 2-3 metre trees in the game (under doodads, or whatever its called.) We're half way there on that as well. Again, I know its abstracted, but maybe we could get a destroyed forest tile as a compromise.

Edited by fry30

I was wondering where BF stood with regard to fire. I find it coming up in accounts of the Eastern Front.

They have not really given a time-line or anything. If I recall correctly Steve mentioned that he eventually wants fire to be modelled beyond the smouldering effect that we have now but that it was quite a bit of work. They have lots of time on the calendar to fit it into the engine with three more game families in the eastern front and their modules.  I hope sooner rather than later.

destroyed forest tile as a compromise.

You mean to represent forests destroyed prior to the CM battle because trees can be destroyed now by HE.  Mind you I have no idea how much HE it would take in game to render a forested area treeless.

Yeah fire is one of those items that is a long time coming. You can simulate a blasted forest in the editor, broadsword has done an excellent job of that in our campaign, but you can't create that look from a bombardment. Would be cool if blasted trees could leave stumps instead of just disappearing. I'd really like to see fire with dynamic lighting effects. Oh man I think I just drooled on my keyboard. Damn you fry!

Btw, what is your favorite show to listen to these days? I was hooked on the fox theatre 77 for a while, but I think I played it a bit too much. Trying to find a good copy of a show I went to a long way back at the Scope in Norfolk VA. Slight derailment, but you picked your icon.

I've been gravitating more and more towards the late shows... but to answer your question one of my coworkers had '72 Denmark playing the other night. I guess those Europe shows are always my favorite.

-----

I've seen some of those "destroyed" forest maps, they look awesome. I guess I just want something like that in game. Or some graphical depiction of defoliation.

You mean to represent forests destroyed prior to the CM battle because trees can be destroyed now by HE.  Mind you I have no idea how much HE it would take in game to render a forested area treeless.

I'll go check real quick, should be cool to see a ton of artillery making matchsticks.

Full ammunition load from six batteries of 76mm field guns plus a hundred rounds from three batteries of 122mm howitzers. 250x250m forested area, high density trees in center, normal density in a circle, outlying areas and edges low density trees.

MPnbhb3.jpg

Edited by Apocal

Btw, what is your favorite show to listen to these days? I was hooked on the fox theatre 77 for a while, but I think I played it a bit too much. Trying to find a good copy of a show I went to a long way back at the Scope in Norfolk VA. Slight derailment, but you picked your icon. 

For me right now, Veneta,OR- 1972