First Appearance of Finns?

coop_71

I'd guess it's unlikely Red Thunder will feature the Finns - the RT modules will run from Bagration through to the end of the war. Ukraine, Poland, Germany and the battle for Berlin. You're not going to get anything from prior to Bagration, so it's bascially June 1944 onwards.

Now wikipedia tells me that there was fighting in the continuation war in June and July 1944 (Vyborg–Petrozavodsk offensive - had to look that up since I know very little about the Finnish-Soviet wars), so that might possibly be in scope for a module, but it would make more sense in my mind to do it as part of the planned (as per the outline years ago) 1943-1944 east front base game which could then include a more substantial chunk of the continuation war and include summer 1944.

But then, I doubt anybody apart from Steve knows how likely it really is.

I'd like to see a Finnish module (I'm sure Steve would too, since he said that the axis minors like Romania and Finland were his favourite parts of CMBB), I just don't think it makes sense for Red Thunder given the planned scope and the future planned east front titles and modules.

I really hope that you are wrong.

Are there going to be no 1941 modules for RT? I think it would be great to see a Battle for Moscow or Leningrad module with the continuation war included.

You have to understand the distinction between modules and titles.

CM:BN was a title, which then had modules for british forces and market garden.

BM:Bulge is a separate title which will have its own set of modules.

CM:RT is a title for Bagration to the end of the war - the base game covers Bagration, modules will hopefully add other forces and time frames.

The roadmap Steve posted years back was for there to be several titles to cover the east front, basically one per year of the war, each with its own set of modules. So there might (pure speculation) be a CM:Barbarossa plus modules for 41, a CM:Stalingrad for 42, and a CM:Kursk for 43. Each will be like Red Thunder with the base game focussing on one operation, and modules expanding the geographical and time scope to cover (some of) the rest of the year across the theatre.

I'd hope that a CM:Barbarossa would include modules that covered as far as Moscow and Leningrad in 41/42, but it would be part of a hypothetical CM:Barbarossa title, not a module for Red Thunder.

The roadmap Steve posted years back was for there to be several titles to cover the east front, basically one per year of the war, each with its own set of modules. So there might (pure speculation) be a CM:Barbarossa plus modules for 41, a CM:Stalingrad for 42, and a CM:Kursk for 43. Each will be like Red Thunder with the base game focussing on one operation, and modules expanding the geographical and time scope to cover (some of) the rest of the year across the theatre.

And those families will likely be released in reverse order, since the models of equipment for already-done modules can be used as the basis for the meshes for older equipment if the older equipment is at least similar. No KV-1s in game yet, but the T-34 hull can be reused; Panthers and Tigers and PzIVs were present at Kursk, so only time-specific textures and minor tweaks etc need to be done for them, whereas going directly back to Barbarossa, there would need to be a lot more entirely new work done. "Leveraging the investment", some people might call it. One reason Bagration was the start point for the OstFront was that a large amount of the necessary work was already done for the Germans, as part of CMBN/CW/MG, so more attention could be put into the entirely novel Soviets.

You have to understand the distinction between modules and titles.

CM:RT is a title for Bagration to the end of the war - the base game covers Bagration, modules will hopefully add other forces and time frames.

That's the way I understand it but I thought a title was more about an scenario (eastern front, western front, Itally, Afrika korps, Shock force, etc.).

=: O

Sincerelly, LOL.

Then we are not getting any Stalingrad as a CMRT module? It will be a new title? I have to say that I prefer the old way, I wouldn't mind much having to buy a 1941 module but having to buy a new title...

Anyhow, this is almos an OT thread, I thought this was the RT forum, not the BS.

Yes, to get back on topic, the Russians have made a few noises in Finland's direction in the last twelve months, so it wouldn't be a big stretch for game plausibility.

It is a big stretch to justify Finnish forces in Ukraine though.

Perhaps much down the road as a Baltic/Scandinavian game, but best case that would be many years from now. Winter War seems more reasonable.

I don´t believe that Finns are going to be in Ukraine. Our right-wing politicians are trying to push Finland in NATO, but there are many bumbs in the way, majority of Finns reject it. Also, there should be a civil vote about joining it etc etc. Also Finns don´t want to provoke Russia, so chance to see Finnish soldier in the Ukraine is very low. Maybe, if there could be some peace keeping operation, but it is long way there too.