"The List"

This was started a while ago, and BTS said "we're keeping the List secret."

However, I think we should be allowed to collect, here, the things we gamers want to/have put on The List, and also things that Steve/Charles have said are on The List.

So, if you know of something in a previous post that was termed as on The List, put it in here for ease of organization.

And, if BTS kills this one, I guess I'll take the hint and talk about something else. No harm done, ja?

I'll start The List with

MOUSEHOLING (Gawd, that sounds gross!)

DjB

# optional gridlines to enhance terrain features (winter landscapes do not show enough contrast).

# A (clickable) list of events ("AAR"), which allows to focus on the main events without having to play the movie over and over again to find out everything that happened. Id est: Read [Jumbo destroyed], click on it and watch the Jumbo explode. Then you can figure out what has happened, but the focus has been set there both in time and space, and you will not miss this event. No more "Forgotten Soldiers".

[This message has been edited by Thomm (edited 09-01-99).]

Good idea about the list of events/AARs. I second that.

One minor picky point. The Fallschirmjaegers should have their camo smocks extend down to their knees to simulate bonesacks. It'll make them look better. BTW will we be able to mess with skins for the models ala Quake or other 3d programs? I could see a whole movement of people working on more realistic uniforms etc etc.

Los

Los, I don't think there will be the opportunity for people to design their own skins. I'm pretty sure that BTS said they're not supporting that sort of thing because the more people fiddle with stuff, the greater are the chances that their games get goofy, or or else that they have multi-play/version compatibility problems.

DjB

From the "custom artwork?" thread www.battlefront.com/discuss/Forum1/HTML/000599.html :

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>You can actually change any of the artwork in CM. People will probably want to mess with the vehicles (always do!), but those are the hardest to muck with. The models can not be changed and they were built using the textures as the template. In other words, the are designed to fit like a unique glove on a unique hand. So trying to fit a new glove on there is going to be really hard to do. Not impossible, but certainly not easy.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I agree with Moon though, I think all the vehicle textures look pretty sweet...

[This message has been edited by Ben Galanti (edited 09-01-99).]

Guest KwazyDog

I agree Moon, I really dont think anyone will play with the vehicles, they cant get much better, and I have a feeling that there will be even more that looks even better smile.gif!

Though as Steve has said it will make vehicles extremely hard to see (and I agree, even the snow covered buildings are hard to see), I think there will be people out there whom will want to make snow camo. It would be a huge undertaking though, for anyone considering attempting it.

Well, it is too late anyway, but I think if there is another thread like this then we should stick to posting our items for "The (Wish) List" but not starting to discuss details, because it only messes things up ! However, so far OUR List is pretty short ! smile.gif Is Combat Mission already perfect ?

Los, I'm pretty sure that what infantry look like now is what they'll look like when CM ships. Elsewhere Steve said that creating infantry models is friggin' hard (probably the hardest artwork, IMHO, since they gotta have bendy arms and legs and stuff).

Thomm, I started this thread with the thought that there were more than 3 or 4 things that had already been mentioned as on The List, things like:

changing unit names

unequal performance of troops with equal stats

mounting any infantry on tanks

But these (and more I can't remember now) turn out to be in CM after all, so this thread is a lot lighter than I thought it'd be.

I want this game NOW!

DjB

Actually I wasn't talking about fiddling with the models only the skins on them. These are nromally Pcx files or whatnot that are wrapped around the models. Which apparently in CM you will be able to do. Gotta fix that bonesack ;)

Los

Wish list...

Recon teams with extra camoflage 'points'

'Kill' symbols on the side of tanks.

Recurring soldiers in squads for campaigns.

If there's music then definately an option to turn it off (might already be in)

Flares with lighting effects(not the trouser variety).

Medals and promotions.

Paras (OK in WWII they'd probably be dropped in a distant country).

No music in CM; if I want music, I'll go get a CD of Sco'ish bagpipe marches.

Night battles are going to be the exception, rather than the rule, so flares aren't hellishly major. (Besides, those huge cuffs probably catch really easily on barbed wire)

Recon teams who are better at hiding would be useful. Was their use at batallion&lower level SOP?

The others would be important to me if CM had a CloseCombat-style "core force." There was already a BIG thread on "does a unit make a measurable gain in 'fighting ability' and how long does it take?" If you search for that, you should find discussion of why medals/promotions, recurring soldiers etc. aren't in CM.

DjB

I had several things I wanted to suggest, but then I went through and searched the list for each one and found they're already supposed to be in:

o pillboxes, foxholes, and bunkers

o barbed wire

o smoke

o hedgerows

o snipers (sharpshooters)

o dedicated F.O.'s

o flamethrowers and satchel charges

o penetration by MG's (i.e., shots may pass through one target and hit something beyond it, so it pays to keep your MMG's and HMG's at ground level and set up a crossfire)

o airstrikes

o infantry riding on tanks and in HT's (unlike the !@)*# foot-sloggers in the CC series!)

I'd like to see multi-story buildings of 3+ levels (currently restricted to 2), so you can recreate cathedrals and taller church towers. But that's about all I can think of.

I'm just so pumped to see the actual game, I can't even begin to thing of improvements or extra features. I'm so excited to see real-time resolution in a 3-d environment, I can hardly contain myself!

Dar Steckelberg

[This message has been edited by Dar (edited 09-02-99).]

Dar, your list pretty much covers the things I *thought* would be on The List, but were already in The Game, and could not remember.

Ditto on your wish for taller buildings. Also perhaps larger building sizes; these are probably going to be in CM:EastFront so we can simulate those tractor-factory battles in Stalingrad.

DjB