Impossible edit Hotkeys??

Halo to all CM Freaks,

I have the intention to buy the CM FI and CM Black Sea. But before that, I would like to test the games with the demo.

I have a handicapped hand and I would like to adapt some hotkeys for my left hand but, after several attempts, all my adjustments were not register.
So, for example, I select some keys on the numeric keypad but don’t worked when I play the game.

Do I make something wrong or is it not possible to make this necessary modifications. If it is the case, I should then resign myself to not get this series what would be a disappointing for me.

Thanks in advance for any helps which you will have the kindness to grant me.

There are some functions that cannot be changed. Basically, if it won't show up as a typed character, you can't change it. So <Backspace>, <Delete>, <CR>, <Ctrl-[anything]>, <ALT-[anything]>, <[arrow keys]> can't be changed. Also, the numeric keys are fixed to the "view height" presets, so you won't be able to assign any functions to the numeric keys on the numpad; the /, *, -, + and point keys should be assignable though, if that's any help.

It is also entirely possible (apparently... it'd drive me up the wall to not have the keys mapped) to play the game only using the menus, either the menu in the UI bar at the bottom of the screen, or the menu that pops up at your cursor when you hit <Space>. It's also possible to bind keys to extra buttons on your mouse, if that's any help. I use a Logitech G700, and probably 95% of the commands I issue are from one of the dozen or so buttons. I appreciate that, not knowing the details of your handicap, this might not be ideal for you. In a similar vein, I'd expect other input devices like voice controllers to work as well with the CM software as mouse drivers do.

Calls for an upgrade in the UI for CMx2 are relatively frequent. BFC have said that they're intending to have a makeover, so if you can't find a way to get access to the game right now, do keep checking back to see when future versions improve the accessibility features.

It is not illiterarcy not to know all the Combat Mission related acronyms. It took me a long time to learn them too, and I still try to avoid writing too many of them for exactly this reason.

UI = User Interface

CMX2 = the Combat Mission 2 game engine. The first Combat Mission games used game engine 1. Those are Beyond Overlord (CMBO), Barbarossa to Berlin (CMBB) and Afrika Korps (CMAK).

Since Shock Force (CMSF) the game engine 2 has been used.

I hope you find a satisfactory solution to you key problem, CM (see, I did it anyway ;)) is too great a game to miss.

Viele Dank Umlaut, and thx Stieli Alpha,

I play CM Barbarossa to Berlin & Afrika Korps for over ten years and I kept a good memory of this games.

Now about my little problem is that I had an accident on my right hand and since then I had to make up my mind to use the mouse with my left hand.

I try to adjust the keyboard on my right hand and, concerning CM Fortress Italy, which I use only for the “camera” functions.

So, I continued to practice and once I finish the three scenarios of the Demo, I gone persuade myself to buy CM Fortress Italy and Black Sea.

Again great thanks and I hope to see you very soon on the battlefield.

Best regards,

Zopok.

• 3 weeks later...