Tank without Co-ax MG can't fire other MG?

My Sherman took a hit that disabled the Co-axial machinegun, and it's all out of ammo for the main gun. Still has plenty of MG ammo though, but can't seem to use it - when I issue a target order, it just sits there with the red line showing but without firing.

I know the hull MG is lower and might not have clear LOF, but I'm targeting the ground 100 metres in front of the tank...

(the hull MG shows up green and undamaged)

Edited by Bulletpoint

Is your "Weapons Control" system also in full working order?

How about if you "Target Light"?

Are you sure there are no little declivities that will obscure your hull MG's LOF in the space of that 100m?

Is the "Radio Operator" still alive and manning his gun? Sometimes the radio (and the gun that gets fired by the radio operator) gets left un-manned if another crew member dies and the tank is still largely operational; I had a Sherman Troop HQ TC get picked off and later discovered that the rest of the Troop was out of C2 because the radio operator was now sat in the high chair, rather then by the RT.

Edited by womble

You're on target with option 3. The radio operator is gone. So what happens seems to be that the game prioritises manning the main gun, even though it's out of all ammunition.

Which is a bit odd, since I've seen other undermanned vehicles where crew members jump position, fire the weapon, change back to their previous seat, etc. etc.

Edited by Bulletpoint

LOL. I ran some tests, years ago. I took about a 100 tanks, dismounted their crews. Then, I ran them through sniper alley. Next, I sorted the surviving crew based on which crewmember(s) had been removed. I then remounted the crews. (Just for grins, I really, really, really want anyone to dismount 100 crews, run them around, and then try to figure out who goes where. No, there is no "tank 7/crew 7" logic.)

This gave me 100 tanks with various crew positions empty. Most had lost 1. Some had lost 2. A few, 3.

Then I put the tanks through their paces.

Then I repeated the test a couple dozen times starting with a new batch of 100 tanks each time.

The game did a very nice job, IMO, of prioritizing positions. Especially if you imagine the crew is an organic group, not robots.

Some tweaking may be nice in certain configurations, but I shudder at the thought of replicating that test...

Ken

Edited by c3k

LOL. I ran some tests, years ago. I took about a 100 tanks, dismounted their crews. Then, I ran them through sniper alley. Next, I sorted the surviving crew based on which crewmember(s) had been removed. I then remounted the crews. (Just for grins, I really, really, really want anyone to dismount 100 crews, run them around, and then try to figure out who goes where. No, there is no "tank 7/crew 7" logic.)

This gave me 100 tanks with various crew positions empty. Most had lost 1. Some had lost 2. A few, 3.

Then I repeated the test a couple dozen times starting with a new batch of 100 tanks each time.

The game did a very nice job, IMO, of prioritizing positions. Especially if you imagine the crew is an organic group, not robots.

Some tweaking may be nice in certain configurations, but I shudder at the thought of replicating that test...

Ken

Ken do you ever get accused of being bat s**t crazy.

That is just freakin wild testing, I bow to your ability to stay focused long enough to even think of that test much less follow through on it.

You're on target with option 3. The radio operator is gone. So what happens seems to be that the game prioritises manning the main gun, even though it's out of all ammunition.

I suspect it's prioritising in a different way. It might be prioritising the TC position over all weapons, and when the RT operator died or the TC died and the RTO took over, the main gun had ammo, and it's not rechecked for shifting positions because someone has to die to trigger that. Or it just has no idea about ammo levels and the main gun is just the highest priority.

Ken

I salute you. Unless you're pulling my leg, in which case it's a good one :)

No, just some spare time and some curiosity. Yes, I did those tests. Yes, it took several iteration before I got the test to run the way I wanted. Yes, I've done tests just as mind-numbing for other facets of these games, but this one still sticks out.

This is what made me have the outlook I have about my men's lives. ;)

So, before you say beta's don't test stuff well enough, do the test I just posted. :)