Fine study of uparmored UKR BMP-2

Photographed near Artemivisk, Donetsk, this is a first rate pic showing the upper hull and above of a UKR BMP-2 with additional turret armor dating back to the Cold War. I say that because the applique armor was added in specific response to the Bradley's potent 25 mm Bushmaster autocannon.

http://www.wsj.com/articles/osce-says-ukraine-violence-easing-but-weapons-withdrawal-not-clear-1425489721

Regards,

John Kettler

Nerdwing,

I've exceeded my quota there for the month, so it was up just long enough tantalize before the placard appeared. Fortunately, Global Security's not the only game in town. I figure these guys know something about the ammunition. Ever helpful, they even have brochures available to peruse. I thought DU was missing, but they've simply modestly called it HEI-T and put the DU part in the brochure. The BMP-2 pic was something that that I thought would be of particular interest to modelers and the oh so talented skin makers.

Regards,

John Kettler

gunnersman,

BMP-2 with applique armor on turret should withstand .50 BMG ball and AP-T no sweat from the front. SLAP? That I couldn't say, since I know very little about it. Didn't exist as a service round during the Cold War, so wasn't of concern to Russian AFV designers. Certainly, the BMP family wasn't ever designed to survive even a .50 BMG from the side. Even the BMP-3 isn't designed to do that, for "small arms fire" is 7.62 mm in terms of the protection criteria. 

Regards,

John Kettler

I sincerely doubt BMP-2 could ever stand up to Bradley 25mm. If that isn't an anti-radiation lead blanket (it looks kind'a soft in those photos) it's probably enough armor to make the turret front proof against .50 cal ball ammo. The hullsides had to be beefed-up just to take 7.62 fighting in Afghanistan. Ukraine infantry complain bitterly BTR-70 is as porous as tissue paper, they were very much impressed by the recently purchased Saxon AC's ability to  stand up to close range fire.

All figures IIRC-type, do not have time to re-check with sources right now:

BMP-1/2:

Hull top front + turret front - protected vs. 20mm AP (not APDS) from 500+ m, vs. 12.7 AP from 100-200+ m

Hull sides - vs. 7.62 rifle (x51/54) regular round from 100+ m

BMP-1D/2D:

Hull sides - vs. 12.7 AP from 200-300+ m, vs. 7.62 rifle AP - point-blank

BMP-3:

Frontal 60 degree arc - vs. 30mm AP (not APDS) from 300+ m

Hull sides - vs. 12.7 AP from 500+ m, vs. 7.62 rifle AP point-blank

BMP-3 with NII stali uparmor package (BMP-3M ERA variant in CMBS):

Hull sides - vs. 12.7 AP from 100+ m

Hull top (over dismounts compartment) - vs. 12.7 AP from 200+ m

BTR-60PB/70: mostly anti shell fragment and anti small arms (7.62 intermediate) armor; front vs. 7.62 rifle AP from 100+ m, vs. 12.7 AP from ~700+ m, sides penetrable with 7.62 intermediate AP from 100-200- m.

BTR-80: slightly uparmored, do not recall exact figures

BTR-82: somewhat more uparmored + antispall lining

20mm AP would no doubt be referring to Marder APC cannon. Its really not a very powerful round at all. Germany used to field a considerably more power 20mm round (wartime and post-war) but opted instead for higher ammo load over high muzzle velocity.