TRPs: advice sought

Bahger

First time using TRPs, I'm wondering if they enhance spotting around where they are placed as well as improving artillery delivery times. In other words, in order to capitalise fully on TRPs, should I put UAVs or spotters in overwatch or will this be redundant if TRPs enhance local spotting capability all by themselves. Logically I would think they do not but I may be mistaken. Many thanks.

First time using TRPs, I'm wondering if they enhance spotting around where they are placed as well as improving artillery delivery times. In other words, in order to capitalise fully on TRPs, should I put UAVs or spotters in overwatch or will this be redundant if TRPs enhance local spotting capability all by themselves. Logically I would think they do not but I may be mistaken. Many thanks.

TRPs don't improve spotting.

IMHO the best thing about trps is that you can use them to call in artillery without having any los from the spotter so no need for UAV's. Faster call time and no spotting rounds required also means that you should utilize them to fire short but intense barrages that give no warning and thus have a better change to catch the enemy in the open.

TRP is just sometime before the battle, you gave that location to the artillery unit, and they sat down and ran all the numbers ahead of time, maybe even fired a round to check for accuracy, then wrote it all down for later.

That's about it.  There's no real reason why an artillery TRP would have any other effects except for faster and more accurate fires.  

I'm pretty sure in-game they do more than help the artillery. I  think the TRP's also give and accuracy bonus with direct fire to simulate machineguns and cannons having been ranged in on the targets.

I recall that being said as well, but I can't find where in the manual or on the forum.

TRP is just sometime before the battle, you gave that location to the artillery unit, and they sat down and ran all the numbers ahead of time, maybe even fired a round to check for accuracy, then wrote it all down for later.

That's about it.  There's no real reason why an artillery TRP would have any other effects except for faster and more accurate fires.  

On that note, it is sort of annoying how some missions in the campaign are so stingy with them. You'd expect a seriousface attack to have at least two or three points, along with any credible defense including defiles, woodlines, dead ground, etc. as registered targets.

I don't know about spotting per se, but TRPs placed at locations like road junction and tree lines supposedly improve your small arms and AT fire accuracy at that location. The assumption is that spot has been zeroed and calibrated and there's going to be less overshooting and undershooting.

I recall that being said as well, but I can't find where in the manual or on the forum.

I found it on page 73 of CMBS manual:

TRPs also double-function as “ambush” markers for regular troops and vehicles. When soldiers fire their weapons at a target near a friendly TRP, they are much better at estimating the range correctly.  

I found it on page 73 of CMBS manual:

TRPs also double-function as “ambush” markers for regular troops and vehicles. When soldiers fire their weapons at a target near a friendly TRP, they are much better at estimating the range correctly.  

It doesn't say that in my manual for some reason. Page 73 talks about the Bradley.

There is a single big decision with a TRP.  Do you set so you can blind fire somewhere? If there is an obvious spot on the map that you can't see, put the TRP there.  When you think the time is right ruin his day.

Totally neglected this. A TRP in a blindspot, paired with one of the lower capability UAVs (like Raven) is actually very potent.  Especially on the defense, the UAV will give you just enough visibility to cue a full barrage.

Totally neglected this. A TRP in a blindspot, paired with one of the lower capability UAVs (like Raven) is actually very potent.  Especially on the defense, the UAV will give you just enough visibility to cue a full barrage.

On a somewhat unrelated note: is it still standard for tanks to draw-up range cards when setting up a defense? Because I imagine in the world of CMBS, where a lot of vehicles have LWRs, it would be pretty well tactically advantageous to be able to let off a shot without light off their warning receivers and TRPs could be a good abstraction of this.

My dilemma is always where to put the TRP where it will do the most good. Its kind of a crapshoot.  You really need to anticipate where the enemy is likely to advance, such as covered routes (trees). Its something that really requires a lot of thought.

There are never enough of them! ;)

On a somewhat unrelated note: is it still standard for tanks to draw-up range cards when setting up a defense? Because I imagine in the world of CMBS, where a lot of vehicles have LWRs, it would be pretty well tactically advantageous to be able to let off a shot without light off their warning receivers and TRPs could be a good abstraction of this.

Yep.  Depends on the unit but I made my guys do one if they were stopped for more than a few minutes.  Longer you're in place, the more complex the range cards get (and transform into platoon fire plans)

My dilemma is always where to put the TRP where it will do the most good. Its kind of a crapshoot.  You really need to anticipate where the enemy is likely to advance, such as covered routes (trees). Its something that really requires a lot of thought.

There are never enough of them! ;)

In a QB I usually buy lots of them. They are cheap and very useful. Of course, in a scenario you take what the scenario designer has given or not given.

Michael