Spotters' posture

Euri

Posturing would be nice, but I'd like to see an ambush command first and foremost. I hate it when I have men hiding and do nothing when shot at.

You're doing it wrong. An Ambush command is unnecessary. Don't rely on Hide. Use terrain that offers good concealment and don't assume your enemy's pTruppen are blind just because you want to ambush them.

Perhaps the AI self preservation code has kicked in ;)

While I agree the posture thing can be annoying, these guys are pretty exposed. There are some better examples of this out there.

That screenshot was taken of the most extreme example I had found in order to make a point and was the result of several turns' frustration with the team positioned in other, more reasonable locations. To quote the relevant post of mine, with added emphasis:

...I am now on the fifth Valley of Death reload trying various combinations of orders, arcs and movements to get a Javelin team (who I have positioned in a wide open field with a dangerous lack of concealment, out of desperation) to fire a damned missile!

Also, I don't think I've ever had a unit unilaterally decide that it is going to stay quiet and not open fire on a dangerous enemy. If anything I often find I have to be almost paranoid in how closely I control my units' cover arcs to make sure they don't open fire in suicidal contexts. If I'm wrong and the AI can make a reasonable decision to refuse to fight (before taking any incoming fire, btw) then yes, the situation I posted a screenshot of is not ideal for demonstrating the problem! :). If I'm right then, given that we are trying to demonstrate the absurdity of AT teams with clear LOS being unable to fight due to inappropriate posturing, I doubt that there are many better examples of this "out there" :).

Incidentally, I have had very, very few problems with this behaviour since the example I posted. In particular I haven't often found my teams kneeling with their faces pressed up against LOS-obscuring tree-trunks in any other scenarios, notably the US Campaign, thankfully! Impotent Javelin teams would be a serious hindrance in most of those missions.

Edited by Tux