National Training Center Terrain Mod

Hi all,

I've been plugging away at a National Training Center terrain mod over the past couple days, and I finally feel complete enough to post it and get feedback. Even though CMBS is set in Europe, with the magic of mod tags we can take our M1s and T-72s and throw them against each other in the desert of California. For those not familiar with what NTC is, it's a US military training center in the desert of California, and for the last 25+ years has been the premier center for armored manuever training. For many years an NTC rotation was the "superbowl" for manuever commanders and a poor showing could end careers. Literally hundreds of battles have been fought over and through the manuever corridors of NTC, and almost every major pass, important terrain feature or passible wadi has a unique name that is unforgettable to those that have been there. A quick google search can pull up a myraid of "war" stories that are prime material for CM scenarios.

The terrain is mostly a mashup of tiles from CMSF, CMFI, CMRT and my own terrain mods. I've tweaked the colors so they all blend. You can also obviously use this to model any sort of desert type environment, but it's intended to replicate NTC. It's not 100% complete, but enough is there to create something that hopefully looks like the California desert. As I'v'e only had the pleasure of visiting NTC once, I'd love feedback from those who've spent more time in the box on how close I've replicated the look and feel of NTC.

This is not complete! There is more I need to polish up. The mod tag you need to use for scenarios is [NTC]: https://www.dropbox.com/s/raeujlvb8rxog1y/AD%20CMBS%20NTC%20Terrain.zip?dl=0

M8oxsV7.jpg

kcGEXAk.jpg

VBV66a3.jpg

AOXTDQ3.jpg

VzA62xt.jpg

Edited by SeinfeldRules

Hey!
Wonderful idea!
How about I give you a couple of doodads to change those bushes, maybe I got exactly what you need. I will upload them and give you the link.

You got a private message.

Idea: you might need palm trees, you could try to swap tree models with CMSF.

Edited by Kieme(ITA)

You'd be suprised at the lack of Palm Trees in the deserts of California - it mostly consists of miles and miles of dirt and knee high bushes, with not a tree in site!

Imagine my disappointment as a young Marine from New York being shipped out to exotic sounding "29 Palms, California" only to arrive at what amounts to Death Valley!

Takoda, hi,

Quick answer is.. or one of the possibilities/ways to do this..

In Windows 7,

Go to Libraries/ Documents/Battlefront/Combat Mission/Black Sea/User Data/Mods

Then in Mods create a folder called “Z” . Place the download there.

Black Sea will now use the desert Mod for all scenarios. Mainly ;). If you wish not to use the Mod in a given scenario, before launching Black Sea just remove the Desert Mod folder from Z.

There are other ways.. You will have read the manual for the more involved but flexible alternatives.

Good luck..

All the best,

Kip.

Hi,

This reminds me that Broadsword56 did a cracker of a Tunisia mod for CMFI.

May now be time for some Alamein ;).

Not a perfect match.. but using the earliest of the CMFI German and Commonwealth units and desert mods may still be fun with the full goodness of Upgrade 3.0 in use.

As many will know, these terrain mod packs can often be used in other CMX2 titles with no more than hint of customisation now the wonders of Upgrade 3.0 are here.

Fantastically flexible :).

Thanks,

All the best,

Kip.

Thanks for your help kipanderson. Unfortunately I'm still having no luck, I imported the mod tag into the editor and can see all the graphics and the background for creating desert environment scenarios however I cant find the National Training Centre map. I'll take a look here again tomorrow, must sleep now I've spent the last couple of hours pulling my hair out in frustration.

Edited by TAKODA

Well I feel bad that you spent all that time, because there is no scenario that currently uses my mod! I am working on one that will use it but I don't know how long that will take. If you want to see it in the editor, you do need to use the mod tag [NTC]. To do that, create a text file in the game folder under "Documents", where the scenario and mods are. In the text file, put a single line at the top: "ntc" (without the quotations). Save and go into the editor. Go down to Mod Tags on the left hand sidebar and import the text file you created. Then you will see my mod!

Bil, that looks great! Would love to have a crack at a scenario on that one. I was thinking about the other notable places in NTC that would have to be re-created, and how they would be pushing the limits of the scenario editor in terms of size... very cool to see someone has already tried to do it!

Edited by SeinfeldRules

back when I went just before desert Storm, there was no town in the 4 corners. Now I look on google map and there's a town there. bicycle lake a airstrip, tip of the whale, castle rock, hells wadi. Tiefort Mnt. it still there, funny how it looks now.

I still have my full military 1:50,000 map.

Edited by Wolfseven

You might be successful using old CMSF textures for the vehicles (maybe [tagging] them); for example the M1A2 has the very same textures at a first glance. As well as BMP-2s.

Unfortunately for the infantry doesn't seem to hold the same, but you might use bits of the uniforms anyway.

I am planning on making some new flavour objects for CMBS using the BMP-1 and T-54b models.. you could swap the same models (and rusty abandoned textures) with some CMBS red side vehicles, and use these as target vehicles or something like that.

Take a look at the repository for CMSF, there are some of the old mods I did for that game that you might find useful, for example the horizon mod, looks like it would fit NTC better than sirya. Not to mention the buildings and roads mods.

A few ideas:

fort irwin

http://usarmy.vo.llnwd.net/e2/-images/2008/01/31/12447/size0-army.mil-2008-01-31-171935.jpg

http://www.cheapflights.co.uk/news/wp-content/uploads/2012/11/Fort-Irwin_Americas-roadside-curiosties-620x282.jpg

http://www.allstate-engineering.net/past-projects/fort-irwin-army-base/

https://militarybases.com/fort-irwin-army-base-in-barstow-ca/

Edited by Kieme(ITA)