Canadian Campaign Mission 2. Spotting IEDs

Sequoia

Okay the briefing says the bridge over the "river" undoubtably has an IED. I've moved engineers up to it but no one is spotting anything. I don't want to do a suicide mission over the bridge. Am I doing something wrong in not being to spot the thing or was the briefing author just playing a head game with me?  

I vaguely recall this one - but it is a truism for CMSF that the only way to defeat IEDs is to:

A.  Avoid them (not much of an option here)

B.  Disrupt/Destroy (signal or trigger).

Some vehicles have protection systems that will disrupt/defeat radio and phone activated devices however they are of no use against wire IEDs. Your options boil down to suppressing or killing the triggerman or using smoke to obscure his view.  I personally have found triggermen to be quite easy to defeat using one or both methods or the two combined.  In this scenario, the canalising terrain is about 100m-200m long so you can rush vehicles across under cover of smoke quite easily (although I'd do it singly to avoid one IED taking out multiple vehicles) or suppress using coax (to avoid destroying buildings) without having to expend massive amounts of ammunition.