Bil's NATO Floating Icon Set - BETA

Bil...  sorry to throw my hiccup into this (ya just can't please everybody ;) ), but I always loved the circle version for the blue army.  I understand that some may prefer the square or rectangular versions; these seem to fit more with the NATO symbols. 

After playing with my own modded versions of your period based icons for so long, I've found I'm just going to have to create my own set for CMBS...  Now trying to fit the wheeled AT symbol into the 128 square pixel area (circle or diamond) is gonna be tough, but I'll figure out something, even if it's using old WW II style symbols :P

Thanks for all you do for the series... from your AAR's to you Battle Drill blog (an extra thank you for the link to the Obscure Battles page).  I read it all, post little, but always grateful.

Well I kind of agreed about the circle needing to be replaced with the square shape for the NATO icons... my WW2 period icons will always have the allies with circle shaped icons.. seems to fit the period.  If you make your own version, share a few screenshots.

Well I kind of agreed about the circle needing to be replaced with the square shape for the NATO icons... my WW2 period icons will always have the allies with circle shaped icons.. seems to fit the period.  If you make your own version, share a few screenshots.

I do understand that the modern version would be the rectangular, but after starting a set, it just didn't look right to me.  I'm working on it slowly; as I play a new scenario and encounter new types of units, I'll pop open Photoshop and create a few new ones.  My ADD won't let me game long sessions, just as I can't play in PS until I finish a whole series :)

One thing that I am doing, and have done with the WW II sets is to make the "Icon ** 2" version the opposite and/or much lighter color of the "Icon ** 1" symbol, e.g., the "Icon Soviet * 2" is red on a yellow background...  The brighter color helps to pick out teams that have been hit, but more importantly, it has several times saved me from the silly mistake of double-clicking to select a unit and then giving orders to an entire company :angry:

An example from RT...

Rakes%20Floating%20Icons%20RT%20Soviet_z

Bil,

Not sure if this is intended or not but I am currently playing a PBEM against an opponent who wanted to use the UKR forces.  I am using the USA and his icons are showing CMBS's default red enemy icons and not the UKR ones from your mod.  I am assuming it is because that even though we are technically fighting each other the game sees us both as NATO and doesn't know how to go about assigning the icons where a Nato player is pitted against another Nato player.

Edited by xIGuNDoCIx

Copy it to <mydocumentsfolder>\Battlefront\Combat Mission\Black Sea\User Data\Mods and start the game.

Thanks.

Bil's Floating Icons BETA 3

This version has an all new color palette for blue forces.. much better clarity in either rendering mode... I also re-sized the blue force vehicle icon size to be better balanced with the red force icons.

I don't know if anyone else has mentioned this, but the US HQ and Forward Observer icons highlight to a lighter shade of blue rather than tan like all the other US icons in the mod. Intentional?

edit: Same thing with sniper teams, when selected they become a lighter shade of blue rather than tan.

Edited by Apocal

I don't know if anyone else has mentioned this, but the US HQ and Forward Observer icons highlight to a lighter shade of blue rather than tan like all the other US icons in the mod. Intentional?

edit: Same thing with sniper teams, when selected they become a lighter shade of blue rather than tan.

Yep, unfortunately some icons, like those you mentioned are "shared" which means they are the same regardless of which country that unit belongs to.  So there is currently no way to change those to be nation specific.

Bil

• 3 years later...

Sitting on it for a fortnight didn't help, I'm still on the fence, so I would better let them go and expose 'em to your appreciation.

BnCBlackSeaThreatFloaters.7z

With Bil's blessing, I've added some colors to the Ukrainian floaters

9ddb7db45fb6ef6eb37930f6170363b2.png

Now the debatable thing is that I've also edited the Russian icons to a blue and red flavor.

d012574b8cbbe8ff1acd7c89774041cb.jpg

Ukrainian and Russian shared icons are tagged (ukraine and russia respectively), with tag files inside.

While Bil agreed that I pervert his mod, he's in no way responsible for it so if you like it, praise Bil, and if you don't then just blame me. ;)

PS: I consider this version as an alpha, I will upload it to the proper repository once I'll feel comfortable considering it done.

• 3 years later...