Question about being LASED all the time...

Magnum50

Playing the last mission, the one that's a big armor battle... but I can't move forward at all, every vehicle gets lased, pops smoke then retreats... even my recon and forward observers... so what/how am I getting lased and how do I counter that in game, not by popping smoke, but moving forward to battle.

Thx.

Order 'fast' then your armour will drive at full speed - ignoring the 'laser' warnings - to their most likely, but glorious deaths. Works for me.  ;)

On a more serious note - laser warnings are enemy units using lasers as part of their target acquisition - hence why your units become spooked by it. Next stop is something nasty in the crew compartment...

Ordering 'fast' will see your units move forward and ignore the 'laser' warnings but this means that whatever is lasing them can/could also kill them. When you know something is 'out there' lasing units you can go for the balls to the wall all out charge and hope you have enough to ID and kill whatever it is or you try IDing where the possible shooter is and see if you can have several AFVs move against it. It'll only be able to lase one of your AFVS and hopefully the other may get eyes on an engage.

Its silly. In reality, the time between lasing and pulling the trigger is a split second. You wouldn't have time to pop smoke.

You may have a second if it's an older t72 shooting. The laser bore is off from the aiming recticle, so you have to adjust aim slightly after lasing.

Even if smoke is out, firing unit already has your range (he just lased you), and will fire through the smoke anyway.

Edited by Echo

Its silly. In reality, the time between lasing and pulling the trigger is a split second. You wouldn't have time to pop smoke.

You may have a second if it's an older t72 shooting. The laser bore is off from the aiming recticle, so you have to adjust aim slightly after lasing.

Even if smoke is out, firing unit already has your range (he just lased you), and will fire through the smoke anyway.

that is premised on the acquiring unit is a tank.  There is a lot more out there lasing you than just tanks.  In the case of tanks, I have found they can kill you regardless of the smoke. Maybe not always, but I have seen it enough to make me even more cautious.

As I understand it, the cutting edge systems pop smoke automatically, specifically so they can be faster than the transition between lase and fire.

I guess that these systems are more aimed at saving the vehicle from ATGM fire. A subsonic ATGM fired from, say 3 kms away would need several seconds to reach its mark. Smoke plus evasive maneuvers give a very high chance of being missed . Would also be interesting to know if newer smoke grenades, working also into the thermal spectrum, would break lock to IIR guided missiles. imho, they should, but don't know if in practice that's true.

Anyway, said countermeasures should be close to useless against incoming tank gun rounds