Core armies in campaigns?

swatter555

it does not "upgrade".  I can give a bit of info as I am playing with the process now and this is what I think I have figured out so far.

You create a scenario that is essentially just a ToE.  You build your core force in that.  When you purchase the items CM assigns them a numerical value that allows it to track them.  This is true for all units whether in a scenario or a campaign.

You then create a regular scenario and you import the units from the ToE scenario.  You edit whatever units you want out of the ToE for that particular battle and add any non core units in you want.

When you compile the scenario, CM will now track the state of those core units from battle to battle.  The designer can select for units to refit and replenish or not for each battle.  They do not get better experience or other such benefits.  CM generally assumes truly becoming a better unit isn't something that happens as a result of having some one off experience, but a combination of experience and training etc over a longer term so it is pretty much out of the scope of a CM campaign.

The CM campaign can and usually does revolve around a core force. No upgrades are provided. That sounds like Theater of War maybe or another game.

In between missions your guys mostly do PT and read magazines. You're an officer. No such luck for you. Lots of paperwork...

Actually, the briefing should explain if you get resupplied between missions. Also if you get reinforcements to cover the KIA. Also if vehicles get repaired. And rest. The 4 "R's".

Now fire up one of those campaigns and have fun!

it depends on the campaign.  The designer can chose to have a core force or not and they can choose to have the core force only for certain battles.  I think JonS did a MG campaign where there were a series of unrelated battles to reflect a day in the campaign across many fronts.

The manual is actually very good at describing how to create a campaign and how a core force can be used if you so choose. (starts on page 108).

You could for example have 3 consecutive battles each with an element of the core force and then have the 4th battle be the entire core force (minus losses etc).  There is no rule about when or how to use them.

Edited by sburke

Note that you don't always have the same units from the core force from battle to battle. Eg. 1st mission might have units from A Company, 2nd mission units from B Company, and then 3rd mission could have a mix of A and B companies. Read the campaign briefings, they will usually tell what's to follow.