Market Garden / 3.0 Upgrade

Hi all,

Firstly a disclaimer.  Very sorry for asking this question(s) which I'm sure has been asked in various different ways many times before, I have done a forum search and can't find an answer.

I've decided to dust off my copy of Battle for Normandy after a long time away (mainly playing Red Thunder), the call of the French country side in summer has got a certain appeal while we're in the depths of winter...

My CMBN is still version 1.0 so I'm planning on upgrading, my question is if I buy Market Garden will this automatically upgrade me to 3.0 and if not and I still have to buy the 3.0 upgrade separately do I need to buy the 2.0 upgrade as well?

Thanks in advance.

Hi all,

Firstly a disclaimer.  Very sorry for asking this question(s) which I'm sure has been asked in various different ways many times before, I have done a forum search and can't find an answer.

I've decided to dust off my copy of Battle for Normandy after a long time away (mainly playing Red Thunder), the call of the French country side in summer has got a certain appeal while we're in the depths of winter...

My CMBN is still version 1.0 so I'm planning on upgrading, my question is if I buy Market Garden will this automatically upgrade me to 3.0 and if not and I still have to buy the 3.0 upgrade separately do I need to buy the 2.0 upgrade as well?

Thanks in advance.

It's not the forums you should be searching, it's on the product page in RED words so you can't miss it:

http://www.battlefront.com/index.php?page=shop.product_details&flypage=shop.flypage_bfc&product_id=526&category_id=36&manufacturer_id=0&option=com_virtuemart&Itemid=26

...in RED words so you can't miss it:

Unless he's got a colour vision deficiency in which case the red text will fail miserably to stand out. Also, it's still not clear from that page if he has to buy the 2.0 upgrade as well, or whether the 3.11 master installer and a 3.0 unlock code would be enough.

I'm not trying to be difficult here, but it clearly says "CMBN:MG requires the original game, Combat Mission: Battle for Normandy in order to play, upgraded to v3.0!"

Hogzkrieg says that he only has 1.0, therefore he needs to upgrade to 3.0 in order to satisfy the requirements. There is no 2.0 upgrade to buy anymore, it's not in the storefront. Looking at the Commonwealth Module, it now says that 3.0 is required also. Therefore I can only assume that the 2.0 upgrade not offered anymore, just the 3.0 upgrade. 

I'm not trying to be difficult here, but it clearly says "CMBN:MG requires the original game, Combat Mission: Battle for Normandy in order to play, upgraded to v3.0!"

Hogzkrieg says that he only has 1.0, therefore he needs to upgrade to 3.0 in order to satisfy the requirements. There is no 2.0 upgrade to buy anymore, it's not in the storefront. Looking at the Commonwealth Module, it now says that 3.0 is required also. Therefore I can only assume that the 2.0 upgrade not offered anymore, just the 3.0 upgrade.

To be fair, just because someone can't find something on the storefront doesn't necessarily mean it's not for sale. While I appreciate the efforts BFC go to to keep the game updated and provide a choice of your content path, sometimes their documentation assumes just a tad too much familiarity with what's going on.

On the CMBN Battlefront there is as  sidebar which features pretty big link entitled "V2.0 Upgrade!".  As there was no mention of 3.0 in this sidebar I assumed 2.0 was still necessary.

Anyway, it's all cleared up now, thanks for the answers.

I didn't see this and still don't. Maybe they've just recently made the change on the site, but I have seen no 2.0 Upgrade offered anywhere. I admit this should have been made a little clearer to public, it even confused me for a second until I realized that Commonwealth now requires 3.0 instead of 2.0.

Anyway, the installer is now in one package so all you have to worry about is downloading one package without fear of installing 3.0 upgrade without the 2.0 upgrade. The purchases of the upgrades, vehicle pack and modules simply "unlock" these features. 

Cheers and happy hunting

short answer (sort of) and Pak 40 has it right.

Order MG and the 3.0 upgrade, DL the full CMBN installer, not a MG module.  The installer is all inclusive, you only need the license for MG.

So again order MG, and the 3.0 upgrade  The 3.0 DL is the full installer.  Use the 3.0 upgrade key to activate the full CMBN installer and then and then the MG module  (after you run the installer BEFORE you activate, read the read me text file for instructions.)

a) Please find your CMBN Engine Upgrade v3.00 license key.
Repeat: you need the v3.00 Upgrade key. Keys from v1.00 or v2.00
won’t work.
b-  make sure the computer on which you have the game installed has
an active online connection to the internet
c) click “Enter Serial” in the product activation dialog window
d) enter your v3.0 license key into the correct field.
e) hit the “Activate” button and wait a few seconds while your license
authorizes.
f) this activates your base game. If you launch the game now, it is
going to show you the base v3.00 install without any modules and
without the Vehicle Pack.
g) now you need to re-activate any other modules
you may have. To do so, you need to use the “Activate Modules”
shortcut link to bring up the activation interface again. If you opted
to not have it created on your desktop or deleted it from there, then
you can find the link in your Start menu under Start > Programs >
Battlefront > Combat Mission Battle for Normandy.
h) repeat the above procedure for any module you may have. You will need the following license
keys:
- for the Commonwealth Forces and Market Garden Modules,
you need a license key from when you purchased said module,
including as part of a bundle (for example, the Big Bundle, CMBN
+ Commonwealth Bundle, Comonwealth + 3.0 + Market Garden
Bundle, and so on.)

Edited by sburke

I too am confused on return... if I purchase 3.0 for CMBN am I forced to DL the master-installer with the entire catalogue at 9 Gb or whatever it is? Or can I just get the update itself at a more reasonable size? I ain't downloading all that for something so marginal (is it? I'm not even sure... what have they been working on? Does it have curved roads?), so I don't want to purchase it if I must.

For someone who didn't pay much attention to the game recently it's all extremely obscure, I don't even know if there's some kind master changelog floating around since the shop page seems kind of sparce/vague in it's information, and it doesn't even list 2.0 anymore; what even changed physically in 1.0>2.0>3.0? Does anybody even care if I buy it or not? I guess that's BF for you...

(The new style of game content that BFC has available includes every single module and patch in the download. Your license unlocks that portion of the code which your purchase grants you access to. The initial download is large, but subsequent ones are non-existent. If a new player buys CMBN v3, he has to download the big (9Gb?) file. Then, if he decides to buy CMMG, all he has to do is apply the new key. The initial download already had the content. This allows a non-MG player to play online with an MG player. They have identical installs. One player merely has access to more of the code.) 

This is a transition period from the old style download system to the new. You are bridging the two periods with your old purchase and your new purchase. The new module purchase will get you modernized.

For someone who didn't pay much attention to the game recently it's all extremely obscure, I don't even know if there's some kind master changelog floating around since the shop page seems kind of sparce/vague in it's information, and it doesn't even list 2.0 anymore; what even changed physically in 1.0>2.0>3.0? Does anybody even care if I buy it or not? I guess that's BF for you...

Yes, it's a little obscure but the whole reason for the 9GB mega download is to make it less obscure. Before, if you had Version 2.0 with Commonwealth but your buddy had Market Garden then you couldn't play a game together. Now, you can play no problem and you can use Market Garden units/maps in a multiplayer game with him. Same goes with the vehicle pack.

To help make it less obscure for you here is what I've found out by poking around the store front:

• If you're new to CMBN and purchase the base game you're automatically at 3.0 - this is included in the $55 price.
  • Ver 2.0 upgrade is no longer in the store front. If you have version 1.x and want version 2.0 features, you must purchase the 3.0 upgrade.
  • Commonwealth and Market Garden Modules now both require ver 3.0
  • Vehicle Pack requires ver 3.0 but Modules are not required

Version 3.0 Changelog can be read in the store front (at least the main features)

Version 2.0 Changelog is pasted here from the txt file that came with the upgrade:

NEW v2.00 GAME FEATURES

Game User Interface Improvements:

- Waypoint dragging. A waypoint can be clicked on and moved by dragging it to a new location.

- Hotkey Unit Groups. Select units and assign them to number keys for quick navigation during gameplay. To change the camera's location press Alt and the number of the group you want to navigate to. The camera relocates and the highest level unit of that group is automatically selected. In Iron Mode, only HQs can be assigned to hotkey unit groups.

- Grouped Spacebar Command system. Instead of getting all of the commands in a big list when the Spacebar is used, instead you get four groups of commands: Movement, Combat, Special, and Administrative. Selecting one of these presents the Commands specific to that Commands Group. The existing graphical Commands Panel now mimics this same behavior. This new feature not only makes it easier to find the Command you're looking for, and keep straight which ones are can be co-assigned to a Waypoint, but it also allows for more than 9 Commands per Command Group (a v1.0 limitation).

General User Interface improvements:

- New Load New Game dialog screen. The list of scenarios can now be sorted by size, length, or alphabetically. Details are presented in text form instead of icons.

- New Saved Game dialog screen. The list of scenarios can now be sorted by newest file, oldest file, or alphabetically. You can also filter between single player saves and PBEM saves. Save games can be deleted from this screen instead of having to flip back and forth between the game and your desktop.

- Visual Hotkey binding. A new dialog allows you to specify and view key assignments. Players can still manually edit and exchange Hotkey.txt files as before.

- Special Equipment icons enlarged for better readability. The enlargement reduces the number of icons from 12 to 6. Multiple items of a single type of equipment are now represented by a single icon with a number specifying how many of that item the unit has.

Editor Improvements:

- Auto-Assemble linear terrain tool. Roads, walls, fences, and hedges can now be automagically drawn across the map instead of placing them one tile at a time. The old manual selection interface still exists to allow tweaking specific Action Spots.

- BMP map overlay. Instead of having to create game maps by freehand you can now trace over a real world map within the Editor. Four different levels of transparency make the process easier by adjusting for different needs as work progresses.

- More AI Groups. The number of AI Groups available has been increased from 8 to 16. This allows for greater fidelity of AI Plans and their assigned units.

- Copy and paste AI Plans. Create a solid AI Plan, copy it, and paste it into an unused AI Plan slot. Once done the copied Plan can be modified to make a unique variant without having to build the Plan up from scratch.

- Improved terrain elevation/contours, smoother and more intuitive.

- Ability to assign special uniform types for select units types on a unit by unit basis.

Gameplay improvements:

- Target Armor Arc Command. Instructs units to engage only armored units within the specified arc. As with nearly every Command, outcome varies greatly depending on unit quality and battlefield conditions.

- Target Briefly Command. Tells a unit to fire all it's guns on a designated spot for 15 seconds, then cease fire. Conserves ammo and reduces the need for player management when short suppressive fire is the desired outcome.

- Expanded floating icon categories. New unique icons have been added for Ammo Bearer, Recon, Engineer, Air Controller, LMG, Light Truck (Antitank), Light Truck (Heavy Weapon), Light Tank, Tankette, Infantry Gun, Shelter Bunker, AT mines.

- FoW floating icons. FoW floating icons. Instead of getting a general area "?" icon and then immediately progressing to an accurate 3D representation, now there is an inbetween stage where you get a icon that represents the general category of enemy unit and no 3D representation. This tells the player "you know roughly what the unit is, but nothing more specific than that."

- Canister rounds. New game code properly simulates these special anti-infantry munitions. Although not very commonly seen, they are extremely effective when used properly.

Multiplayer Improvements:

- Pausable RealTime option. A player can request a Pause and, if the other player agrees, the game is Paused until both players request an end to it. Pauses can be "Playable" (Commands can be issued/modified), "Viewable" (navigation is allowed, but no Commands issued/modified), or "Locked" (no navigation, no Commands issued/modified). The different pause types reflect the different reasons for requesting a pause.

Graphics improvements:

- Improved rendering. Normal and Bump mapping allows for more texture detail while using less system resources and improving the pressure on framerates.

- Expanded Soldier details. A completely new way of assigning models and textures allows greater flexibility and variety of how Soldiers look in the game. It also allows for more flexible Modding possibilities.

Thanks Pak. I'm a bit dissapointed I can't just get the update, 9Gb is a third of my monthly bandwidth, and I don't really want to blow it for armour-arcs. I wish it were not so, the actual update sounds like a few hundred Mb at most. It's also infuriating that I'm being fiscally punished for being an early adopter - why do new purchasers get it for nothing while I gotta drop another $10? Not pleased at all with BF business practice (cue Steve showing up to tell me to like or lump it - let me save you the trouble - I'm lumpin'!).

Does this mean with 3.0 we can play cross-game scenarios with RT, US/Brit vs USSR? That, that I might look into, one day.

Well, new purchasers also have to d/l the 9Gb.

Granted, it's a bit of a pain now, but the idea is in the long run it will simplify matters. :)

You can't cross play game "families" - so you can play someone with CMBN modules you don't have, but not someone with CMRT.

Edited by Baneman

Thanks Pak. I'm a bit dissapointed I can't just get the update, 9Gb is a third of my monthly bandwidth, and I don't really want to blow it for armour-arcs. I wish it were not so, the actual update sounds like a few hundred Mb at most. It's also infuriating that I'm being fiscally punished for being an early adopter - why do new purchasers get it for nothing while I gotta drop another $10? Not pleased at all with BF business practice (cue Steve showing up to tell me to like or lump it - let me save you the trouble - I'm lumpin'!).

Does this mean with 3.0 we can play cross-game scenarios with RT, US/Brit vs USSR? That, that I might look into, one day.

Actually, the price price of CMBN base has been raised to cover the cost of the upgrades. Not long ago it was $35.00 for the ver 1.0, now it's $55 for version 3.0 and that's your only option.

Red Thunder is a different game. Fortress Italy is also a different game. The Bulge will be a different game as well when it comes out.