Question about the beginning of invasion of Russia

lcm1977

I am reading about the beginning of the invasion of Russia and am really into it.  I had no idea how or what or anything about this prior to my readings and am just blown away by what Russia went through compared to the other allies.  Anyway, having said that my question is - is there any idea of when Battlefront will make another game for this period.  If not I under but am so excited that they might - someday but would like to know when.  Thanks

I am reading about the beginning of the invasion of Russia and am really into it.  I had no idea how or what or anything about this prior to my readings and am just blown away by what Russia went through compared to the other allies.

Welcome. War is always horrendous, but the war on the Eastern Front was especially horrendous. It was "pull out all stops and pedal to the metal" ugly. Hitler instructed his generals to forget about all ideas of chivalry and to be as nasty as they could. The Soviets soon learned to reciprocate in kind.

Anyway, having said that my question is - is there any idea of when Battlefront will make another game for this period.

Nothing like a precise date has been mentioned nor would it ever be; that is not BFC's policy. But yes, the plan is to create a game family for each year of the war, going progressively further back in time. That means that a family devoted to 1941 would be the last to appear. A reasonable guess might be that it will be at least three years of real time before that family is released, but that is dependent on a whole host of unanticipated imponderables. Which is why BFC never sets a firm date until the day actually arrives when a game is ready to go on the market.

Meanwhile, there is a game in the older CMx1 series called Barbarossa to Berlin that I believe is still on sale. It does not play like the current game engine, and will not play at all on current Macs, but if you are on a PC you can run it. It might keep you occupied for the next three years.

:)

Michael

Thanks Emrys, good to know and tells me what I need to know.  So I may as well go ahead and buy Red Thunder since it'll be a while for the period I'm looking for in a CM game.  I have tried other games but imo they just do not 

compare with BF games but will take a look at the Matrix games you mentioned StieliAlpa.  So am I understanding correctly that each game like Russia or France or Italy is considered a "Game Family "?  

Thanks Emrys, good to know and tells me what I need to know.  So I may as well go ahead and buy Red Thunder since it'll be a while for the period I'm looking for in a CM game.  I have tried other games but imo they just do not 

compare with BF games but will take a look at the Matrix games you mentioned StieliAlpa.  So am I understanding correctly that each game like Russia or France or Italy is considered a "Game Family "?

As it stands, you're right that "Russia, France and Italy" are separate game families, but going forward, the stated plan from BFC is that each year (June-May or thereabouts) in Russia is going to be a separate family, and the Normandy "family" is now done, saving, perhaps, another pack, if they can think of a good theme for it, and the last one paid back the development time-plus-margins. Italy, though, is, if I have the right end of the stick, going to go to the end of the war (as far as fighting in Italy was concerned, i.e. 6 days less than the fighting in Germany) in its second expansion, which is nearly 2 years in one Family. Any Africa/Med game dealing with engagements pre-Husky will likely be new families, and given the rate of change of technology and orbat, probably annual collections there, too.

Hitler instructed his generals to forget about all ideas of chivalry and to be as nasty as they could.  The Soviets soon learned to reciprocate in kind.

"The Soviets" learned that long before '41 or explaining things like the Katyn massacre would get rather difficult.

"The Soviets" learned that long before '41 or explaining things like the Katyn massacre would get rather difficult.

Well, yes. But what I was trying to say is that after experiencing the brutality of the Germans, any trace of tenderheartedness that might have been retained in the official Soviet soul was ruthlessly eradicated. The war became one of absolute extermination on both sides, moderated only by what was physically possible.

Michael

That helps quite a bit so since Red Thunder is the newest game then BF will be going back to Normandy/France and Italy before starting back on Russia.

While it won't be Normandy, BFC plans to implement one more game family in Northwest Europe to include autumn 1944 to the end of the war and probably kicking off the the Battle of the Bulge.

Michael

Yes, yes. There is indeed nothing better than CM on the tactical level.

But I thought you might be interested to learn about the Eastern Front on a strategic level, too. E.g., in "War in the East" the smallest unitis in play are Brigades, largest Army Corps, if I am not mistaken. The size is 10 miles per hex and one turn represents a week. Needles to say: To play through from 1941 to 1945 in weekly turns is a pretty big undertaking. Obviously quite different from CM, with completely different challenges. But you must know, if you like it.

...in "War in the East" the smallest unitis in play are Brigades, largest Army Corps, if I am not mistaken. The size is 10 miles per hex and one turn represents a week. Needles to say: To play through from 1941 to 1945 in weekly turns is a pretty big undertaking.

That much sounds a lot like the Europa series of games from GDW (later GR/D). These began hitting the market in the mid-'70s and were still appearing 20 years later. Some of the best designed games I ever saw, but some of them were Huge. Literally thousands of counters with maybe half a dozen maps to be stitched together, each one 22"X34". Needed a gymn sized space to set up and about five years to play.

Michael

The Europa series has Regiments as base units and more than half a dozen maps. I have seen it once set up, while visiting Second Chance Games in Liverpool. Whoah! It was a huge beast.

Depends on which Europa game we are describing, but in the main series of games the base unit is the division, but there are also brigades/regiments and battalions. And again, the number of maps depends on which game, but as I recall never less than two.

Michael