Stg 44 vs G43

Viking

Was just wondering if anyone knows why it is so hard to get and keep Stg 44's in this game?? Around 450000 in service same as G43 but my troops never have them, 1 or 2 at most in battalion when creating campaign or Battle but then save to test or play..... Vanished!! So freaking lame!! But anyways most don't care but the Stg 44 or MP44 as called in game is my favorite WW2 weapon, love the sound, rate of fire, range, durability and would love to see the rare attachments like night scope and bent barrels?? Maybe not lol! But why is it so hard to get and keep in the game but there is abundance of G 43?? Also what determines how many go into units? Moldable?? Where u could get 3 -6 in a battalion and they still be there when the game is started?? Thoughts thx

If I recall previous discussions correctly, I think you'll find it was 450000 came out of the factories and most of those went into warehouses and were never issued. In the western front timeline, StG44 become more readily available in September, but you will struggle to keep them supplied with ammo, given the rate they use it and its scarcity on the battlefield, even with the recent additions to the ammo carried by vehicles. Whether the weapon was actually widely issued in the period and geographical area RT focuses on, someone else will no doubt know.

To answer the other part of what I think you're asking - as I understand it, the game will randomise the non-bog-standard weapons like G43 and Stg44 amongst the units when it's starting a battle - I don't think what you may see when creating the scenario is what will necessarily be there when you or someone fires it up.

Presumably it will use whatever rarity algorithm has been created based on the numbers people have quoted above.

You can use the Sturm battalion formation I think to get troops with lots of Stg44's though ( I think they appeared in the Market Garden module - possibly only with battle date set fairly late ). Make sure you get them some trucks for spare ammo though, or they'll burn through it pretty quickly. :)

Edit : Ooops, for some reason thought I was in CMBN forum. Not sure if Sturm battalions are in Red Thunder...

Edited by Baneman

No its not a lot for the size of the German army but 2 or 3 in a battalion is not that many. When I end up with 13 G43's in that battalion with 0 MP44.

The rarity thing is what I was wondering if could be changed?

And no to Sturm battalions in red thunder. But there was more issued on eastern front from everything I've read.

No its not a lot for the size of the German army but 2 or 3 in a battalion is not that many. When I end up with 13 G43's in that battalion with 0 MP44.

The rarity thing is what I was wondering if could be changed?

And no to Sturm battalions in red thunder. But there was more issued on eastern front from everything I've read.

Try using the begleit grenadiers, they are under Sturmgeschutz battalion formations if I am not mistaken. Those guys are loaded for bear with MP40's and MP44's.

I think another point to mention is that these rare weapons mostly went to the W-SS and other high priority elite formations such as Großdeutschland.

If I recall correctly the amount of StGs in CMBN when using SS troops was pretty high.

Edit I just checked a PzGren bat. has roughly 1 StG in 2 squads and a little below 1.5 G43s.

Edited by Kraft

I think another point to mention is that these rare weapons mostly went to the W-SS and other high priority elite formations such as Großdeutschland.

Wrong. Common misconception, but simply wrong. The grand majority were used by the newly created Volksgrenadier Divisions that replaced the catastrophic losses of the 1944 summer. This is why you don't see them in CM so far. They will probably show up in the Ardennes game.

About the G43s: The StG44 was not even in the official toe for Panzergrenadiers until 1945, whereas they were supposed to have 1 - 2 G41 or G43 rifles per squad.

• 2 weeks later...

If I recall correctly the amount of StGs in CMBN when using SS troops was pretty high.

Edit I just checked a PzGren bat. has roughly 1 StG in 2 squads and a little below 1.5 G43s.

In all Honesty the first Divisions to receive the Stg.44 were the 1st ID, and the 32 ID Divisions, both on the Eastern front.  I read somewhere where the combat elements were so equipped to test the weapon.  This occurred after their refit on the Eastern Front, and because of ammo shortage only the 1st ID was fully equipped.  after testing I believe they were sporadically sorted to premier divisions first on the Eastern front, this was supposedly to combat the Soviet SMG squads.  Obviously with transfers of units they would of course be found on the Western front, and obviously the Ardennes area.  I cant for the life of me find where most of them were kept in  a warehouse.  I also looked up the cartridge as well, and there is a unknown amount produced, but the round was very much used by about 5 different weapons in the later stage of the war.  The round was developed as early ad 1938 I believe.

If anyone has literature to where or why the weapon was hidden , I would like to see it for myself, I think it is sort of myth. but maybe not, the weapon was used by the East German Police an manufactured although somewhat altered I believe in Argentina.. and was used in the Syrian civil war.. which makes sense as they actually had some Pz IV tanks.