How are shot down planes modeled?

My recollection is that there's no feedback on the effect of AA firing at enemy CAS. If you hear planes that aren't yours, see your AA fire and there aren't any bombs or bullets from the sky, your AA might have worked. Whether they shot the flyboy down in flames, or just made him break off his attack run isn't relevant to the game.

I remember in the old Combat Mission games, sometimes you would see a fire started in the fields, or in the woods where the plane went down.. but I don't think that is modeled in the new games, but no matter they are still brilliant.  Its amazing seeing about 4 flak trucks, and a few 37mm flak guns firing skyward at dusk.  I have noticed that the attacking plane may fly around but It appeared to stop attacking my land forces... I have only seen this about 4 times

• 2 weeks later...

I've been playing this game on-again/off-again for around eight months now and I still have not encountered a single aircraft shot down. Not just visual, but my own aircraft, launching attacks and being fired upon by AA; sometimes they get damaged and break off, the majority of the time they keep on trucking, but I've never seen one labelled "KNOCKED OUT" or "SHOT DOWN" or anything.