closecombat!

Hey I am A Close Combat fan and I do Like Close Combat 4 but wow Close combat has changed from cc1 and 2 (the 2 best). It used to be about infantry holding on to a bridge or American troops Outflanking Germans, with little armor support. My point is the last 2 close combat games are losing its infantry dominance and it is a tank oriented game now. Close Combat 4 has tried to fix it but it still needs work. I hope that CM is more of an infantry oriented game. Who else thinks thats sad............

thanks

Hey Canada,

I am VERY dissapointed with CCIV, I think it just plain sucks ... the new explosions are nice, and so is the overall campaign map, and the added Arty and Air Strikes. I think the graphics, and overall quality of the game have takin a turn for the worse. Oh well, I guess my days of this series have ended, unless someone completely overhauls the entire engine. frown.gif

~JT

------------------

"It is well that War is so terrible, lest we grow to fond of it"

Robert E. Lee

Guest Tom punkrawk

Umm, speaking of air strikes in the game, umm...wasn't the weather too bad for air support?at least in the first couple days of it.I remember a personal account of a guy from the 423rd reg. of the 106th Div.,and he commented on how the Germans we're using their AA guns as infantry guns...shooting the flak guns and stuff into the trees above them,then the shrapnle and stuff would fall down on the soldiers and mess them up.But I do remember on the afternoon of the 16th he mentioned he saw a US plane going after a Axis plane, so I dunno, could someone tell me?

------------------

We ain't got no place to go,let's go to a punk rawk show

I gave up on the series when CC3 came out but I think it's funny how many I meet who think CC3 is when the series started getting good. I swear it's true, a lot of gamers out there think CC4 is better than 3 and 3 is better than 2.

Although their marketing and design decisions bug the hell out of me, they seem to be doing pretty good. It's like punk rock, used to be cool, then a watered down versian was introduced to the populace, everyone loves the stuff but it's not the real thing, and to a person who apreciates the original it's just a plain drag. Kids these days all look they've had a bad fishing accident.

I agree with LT CANADA 100%.

What ruined CC3 for me was definitely the abundance of armour in battles. There was no skill involved in many of these battles.

I miss the good old days playing CC2 on the zone before CC3 came out, and then so many of the good CC2 players moved onto CC3, and later quit CC altogether (like myself).

Personally, I moved onto Rainbow Six (on the zone), a little mindless game, but an incredible adrenalin rush!

I hope CM achieves the fine balance between infantry, AT, and armour that CC2 so often did (like rocks/paper/scissors).

By the way, is CC4 being played anywhere multi-player?

Hundminen

*sigh* Yeah CC2 was a stroke of genius if you ask me. You usually had so little armor that if you had 2-3 vehicles you felt invincible. You really cared about your tanks in that game and one single tank in reserve could win you the day. Anyone remember how often your guys ran out of ammo? Don't think I've ever run out of ammo in CC3/CC4 (well a couple of times).

Guest Tom punkrawk

Actually I haven't "baited myself w/ hooks" yet.Planning on it =)

Actually some of the old punk is really good,I have a couple tapes full of the "old school" punk, I just hate the sex pistols =).

A lot of old punk fans say that punks not the same 'cause all the old punk bands talked about politics(Dead kennedys to name a popular one),and the "punk" bands now don't really sing about that stuff anymore.The popular one's like Blink182 they all suck.To talk about Political bands, you'd have to hear Propagandhi, they are so damn anti-americanism it's not even funny smile.gif

Good music but too anti-american for me.

You just have to dig deeper,mainstream bands all apeal to the chicks,there's more girls than guys,so whatever the girls like is going to dominate,and I found,if it's on MTV,it gains a million new fans.

I'll shutup now smile.gif

Like many sequels, the first one was the best. I think I like CC1 better than the rest. One thing that CM really has going for it is the fact that you CAN do useful things with infantry. In a lot of games, the grunts are just an after-thought. I guess most people think that armour is sexier (especially if it is German...)

I personally feel that CC4 is better than CC2. I've been playing the CC series since CC2 - sadly I was never able to get my hands on CC1.

And honestly right now, as much as i like CC2, I can't think of a single reason of why it is better than CC4. If the game hasn't improved that much, it at least there have been improvements.

CC3 I admit, the fact that the AI always bought armour had a big damping effect on the game. I solved this problem by editing the data files and eliminating all the tanks from the game - no more wurlies eitheir!!!!

Anyway, airstrikes only become availiable when the weather is 'clear'. You can either choose historical or random weather.

If you read the the different forums for Close Combat 4 you will find a good majority of the better CC players like Mick, Cappy, Reiryc for example really like the game and rate it equal if not better than CC2.

Once the patches come out to fix some glaring problems CC4 will be certainly a good game to own...

I also enjoy the CM beta demo immensely and and got it on order...I enjoy playing both games a lot smile.gif

Hehe RW-I'd like to know where you got your ideas on majority of better players that think CC4 is an improvement over CC2 This is a case where i think the word majority is relative. ( should I be offended lol- J/K) . A huge portion of great CC2 players quit playing altogether by them time cc3 was released and alot of these were truely excellent opponents. I've voiced my opinion on this repetively and there isn't squat about cc3 or cc4 that deserves its mentioning as a wargame of any sort. The series really has taken a dive in all departments, gameplay became rediculously boring and unrealistic. The graphics really took a dump with cc3, and cc4 looks even more pathetic although I didnt think that would be possible ( i could go into specifics but I think there has been indepth bashing on numerous threads before ). I honestly am having trouble seeing how any can compare cc4 to cc2 at all it's like comparing a King tiger with a PZ II. CC2 did have its faults, but it's incredible gameplay really made up for them - at least enuff to get many of us hooked for countless hours. Personally I'm hoping to see some of the greats comeback here - and would like to thank BADPIKE letting me know about this game when our hopes of the CC series improving was lost. Badpike if ya are out there reading this lets play one man :) this game is what I've been waiting for.

RW I'm really enjoying our match its a shame we never got to play CC2 i think we missed outon some great games.

SS_PanzerLeader....out

Is anybody aware of any big mutiplayer sites for CC4?

I have never seen more than a handfull on the zone, and they are just match-making there.

I mean the game is so damn cheap ($40 CDN - $25 US) I might give it a shot if I can find a decent multiplayer site.

Hundminen

M-player also supports CC4. Unfortuantely not many people are playing the campaigns becasue of a save game bug which erases a players saved campaign file after a few turns.

A patch is coming out for this is a week or so. I would hold onto your horses till it comes out, unless you want to 'practice' against the AI????... smile.gif

Guest Stabsfeldwebel

YEA! CC bashing !

CC1 &2 were great because they were advances over the games like steel panthers, they showed initiative, but they did show in cc3 that they didn't have ambition.

Instead of redesigning the engine, with newer graphics (cough cough 3d) and fixing the stupid stupid stupis (did i say stupid?) bugs like tanks twirling in place with enemy armor 300m away.

The reason i love CM so much is BTS's devotion to the game itself. They have said CM2 will be a vast enlargement of CM1's capabilities, but CM3 would require like a total overhaul of the engine.

(yes i know probably scenario addons)

but this right there and the fact that they've striven to make sure as few bugs as possible, AND listened to their fans suggestions will buy my loyalty for a very long time.

The only thing i regret is that the game won't be distributed, yes i know the reasons why, but i truly think that this game has the potential to be a instant classic, and unfortunently only people who are specifically interested in this genre of game will see this game. I mean how many people got hooked on the CC series just cuz they tried it because the box looked cool?

Dawnrazor.com used to be set up for CC1 and CC2 dont know if it's still active or not. I used it for a long time as I was still refusing to use IE or the zone, my down with the big guy hackles were raised high smile.gif

Yea i was a cases ladder junky for cc2 i think i got to 8th at one stage.Had some great battles with hammer&co,but cc3 never ever played a nett or ladder game

------------------

AUCK

New Zealand

Superpower waiting to happen

• 2 weeks later...

Well I was getting CM withdrawal so I rented CC4. Here's my opinion of the game.

:-() <- (that's supposed to be a finger in the throat making me gag). It sucks big time. Am I ever glad I only wasted $5 Cnd for renting it.

Graphics are only 16 color max - washed out.

AI sucks - tanks need constant babying to get em to move

Scenario generator is pathetic. This time around you can only create user scenarios with prebuilt complete company's. ie you always have 3 M4's, 1 Priest, 2 M5's etc or Germans always have Panthers, flametrack?, rocket track? etc. You can vary from infantry based to armor mased but no choice of individual units. Plus the map setup and vl's cannot be modified. CC2 was better and CM will be way better.

It's easy. So far I've played maybe 8 battles and cleaned up in all of them.

The airstrikes and arty are a joke. Airstrike you designate a target, the plane zooms thru in 2 sec and doesn't miss. Arty is same.

Once infantry spotted they die. Tanks don't miss.

I could go on but IMHO it's a complete waste on money. CC2 was the highwater mark for this series.

I checked out the Zone and there were only 11 people there so I think others share my opinion.

Come on Feb.2000 and CM rocking on my HD.