New Gaming Laptop and Licensing

db_zero

The license says you are allowed to install the game on one computer, plus one back-up computer.

As you are only playing on one computer at the time, the other computer will then take the role of backup computer.

In practice you have four activations, and one additional each year, so as long as you don't hand out your license key, which would violate both the letter and the intent of the license, you can install it on all your computers.

Thanks for the info.

I was considering an Apple laptop, but that would probably entail having to repurchase all the games to run on a Mac.

Regarding activations...re-licensing when applying updates don't count?

What happens if you do for some reason use up all activations? Do you have to pay full price for 4 more activations?

Thanks for the info.

I was considering an Apple laptop, but that would probably entail having to repurchase all the games to run on a Mac.

Regarding activations...re-licensing when applying updates don't count?

What happens if you do for some reason use up all activations? Do you have to pay full price for 4 more activations?

You contact the helpdesk. I think the activation limit is a protective measure not one that is based around generating revenue.

I asked already but will ask again since the answer was not sure:

If I install my game on my two computers can I play a multiplayer real time match with my girlfriend (I already know she will kick my ass, heeh) or does the licensing protection not allow same license to be used for multiplayer games?

Thanx in advance.

I asked already but will ask again since the answer was not sure:

If I install my game on my two computers can I play a multiplayer real time match with my girlfriend (I already know she will kick my ass, heeh) or does the licensing protection not allow same license to be used for multiplayer games?

Thanx in advance.

You can, but I am not sure if that's allowed by licence. I have feeling BF turns blind eye on this. Better ask directly from the BF.

Got my new laptop and not sure if I like it enough to keep or return. I loaded a couple of h2h games I already have in progress. The Mace looks decent and runs decently in 1920x1080 which is the preferred resolution for the laptop.

When I loaded Winter of our Discontent I was less impressed. The trees look awful and it seems a bit sluggish. Don't know if the fact its raining makes a big difference.

The GP60 I got has an I5 processor and GT840M graphics card. 8 gigs of memory and a 5400rpm hard drive.

The GE70 Apache Pro-12 is a step up with an I7 processor, GTX860M Graphics card, 16 gigs of memory and 7200 RPM Hard drive. Its also $500 more and I not sure if I'm just spoiled by a desktop rig and will never be satisfied with a laptop running Combat Mission.

In terms of map size perhaps the Mace and Winter of Our Discontent is too big for the GP60.

As a rule of thumb laptops will never be on par with stationary PC's. Not with current technology that produces heat. And I'm talking about performance and price here. Less room makes for more complicated technology and less performance. That's how things work, simple as that.

Here is a rundown of where certain mobile CPU's and GPU's fit in regard to stationary components.

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/gaming-graphics-card-review,3107-7.html

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/gaming-cpu-review-overclock,3106-5.html

Regarding stronger components - you should aim for sweet money/performance ratio because I personally would not pay 500$ more for a 15% increase in performance (might not be the case with what components you mentioned, just making a point).

If money is no issue then sure, you can get yourself the most expensive option.

Got my new laptop and not sure if I like it enough to keep or return. I loaded a couple of h2h games I already have in progress. The Mace looks decent and runs decently in 1920x1080 which is the preferred resolution for the laptop.

When I loaded Winter of our Discontent I was less impressed. The trees look awful and it seems a bit sluggish. Don't know if the fact its raining makes a big difference.

The GP60 I got has an I5 processor and GT840M graphics card. 8 gigs of memory and a 5400rpm hard drive.

The GE70 Apache Pro-12 is a step up with an I7 processor, GTX860M Graphics card, 16 gigs of memory and 7200 RPM Hard drive. Its also $500 more and I not sure if I'm just spoiled by a desktop rig and will never be satisfied with a laptop running Combat Mission.

In terms of map size perhaps the Mace and Winter of Our Discontent is too big for the GP60.

I had to configure the graphics card to be used by the game manually.

Before I did that, CM used the integrated graphics, with similar results as you describe. But with the graphics card the results were very good.

I have now set the laptop to automatically use the NVIDIA for everything.

It is probably using more power, but I am normally on the grid, so that doesn't matter, and I could make it selective again easily when needed.

My laptop also has the GT 840M

I was wondering if the graphics card was in integrated graphics mode when running the Italy battle. I'll have to play around and see.

Benchmark wise the 860M is 25-30% faster. The I7 I'm not too sure just what the performance difference is and just what I'll gain is something you'll really only know when you have it in your hand and run CM.

I have a little time to play around and see. For other stuff like Command Modern Naval Operations, War in the East, War in the Pacific and the soon to be released War in the West This laptop should be just fine.

I'll also throw Neverwinters Night onto it and see how that fares.

The loading times for CM battles wasn't bad. I was thinking of eventually buying a solid state drive, but maybe that won't be necessary. I also don't know if bumping the RAM to 12 or 16 gigs is worth it since its loads decently and I don't think more ram is really going to make the game run any faster, but it may get rid of any studders or slowness on huge maps.

I also added a real (wireless) mouse to my laptop, and now I think it will be my permanent gaming platform. With a little laptop table gaming from my lazy chair is much more relaxed than at my desk.

As much as I would like to make a laptop my permanent Combat Mission device, it can't compare to my desktop with graphics card that weighs about half the weight of a laptop. So for now the laptop is the back up Combat Mission device.

For the other games I mentioned above I can forsee the laptop becoming the main device.

Perhaps hooking up my desktop to a large scree TV and playing from a lazy chair will be a viable solution.

Go to configuration panel -> NVIDIA, and select general preference for the graphics card.

Then start Combat Mission again.

ahhh much better. I think I used the hotkey to turn on the Nvidia, but it reverted back when I exited CM

I am getting odd black squares and some black areas in the Mace. I'm downloading the latest drivers, but it may also be a mod I'm using.

I'd still say my desktop is slightly better, but now that the 840M is set to be the default video on my laptop its a close second to my desktop.