Seeking one pair of pbem players to playtest...

• Replies 137
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Sfhand and I restarted our battle. I'm still Allies. He has taken a different defensive approach: hide. ;) It's like the old spaghetti western. My guys, the gunfighters, have just ridden into town. "It's quiet." "Yeah. Too quiet." I expect to be opened up upon in a crossfire from the saloon roof and the upper floor of the prostitute house. A flaming wagon will no doubt block my retreat. ;)

My attack will continue. A lot of overwatch and probing. Something will kick up.

I have my doubts about using US mech infantry in this scenario... I think I've fought with them before, but I don't recall them feeling so "undermanned" compared to regular infantry. Maybe we should start over with regular units... Just kidding. I will definitely want your feedback on the reinforcement setups (I think c3k approved of the first Axis reinforcement position before we restarted).

c3k: I always thought hiding was a part of ambushing... but I have different plans this time. As the defender, one of the beauties of the map is the variety of choices presented to the defender.

Baneman: I freely admit to lifting some ideas from our brief encounter; it's time to see if Ken can hit the curve. As the attacker, one of the beauties of the map is the lack of choices presented to the defender.

"hit the curve"? Bah. I straighten the curve. Like a Mobius strip, I circle endlessly in a straight line. Or something. ;)

The channelized nature of the passes is interesting, as is the tradeoff between speed (the roads) and the slow but steady woods routes.  I eschewed any change of my plan, preferring to walk into the door repeatedly. :) Also, I thought you'd call me out if I obviously reacted to the LAST game.

I have no problems with anyone reacting to earlier games. Heck, I'm reacting to earlier games because you (and the others) have shown me a small slice of the error in my ways. I like that we are tweaking setups and strategies. I agree about the choice between the roads and the woods with the caveat being in the woods infantry "should" have advantages tanks don't have due to short LOS. Yeah, I know it didn't play out that way in our last, but I think I ran my guys too hard and fast right into your Stuart (because I didn't realize it was going to be there). Either way, as you said earlier, probing with overwatch is definitely a good way to go: it's just difficult to do in the woods.

Score is now 3 jeeps and a wee armoured car for the loss of several infantrymen and a damaged light tank.

Have had the satisfaction of creating an epic traffic jam on a mountain road - almost worth it to see that alone :lol:

I suspect things will get tougher for me now.

An epic traffic jam? Heh... you should check out rush hour traffic in these parts (real life version of the map), this was nothing, cleared in less than a minute. Have you considered doing one of Bil's bloodboards? :) You have definitely slowed my advance on all fronts, so kudos for that. I especially like that you're using some of the PII's in the role of the removed AA guns; I wish I thought of that! In my mind's eye the Allied player must be prepared to trade equipment for land. I'm going to tweak the map and put a footpath to the area your mortar is firing from so the next guy who puts units there will be able to extract them. Your guys are gonna die there... redrum!

.... I'm going to tweak the map and put a footpath to the area your mortar is firing from so the next guy who puts units there will be able to extract them. Your guys are gonna die there... redrum!

Oh carp ! I didn't realise they were stuck there. May as well pick up the pace of firing then. ;)

Where is "these parts" ? Rockies ?

Edit: Now THAT is gamey - map designer builds "trap" :lol:  Go confess in the "Gamey sins" thread in the CMRT forum ! :lol:

Edited by Baneman