How to fire the 50 cal on some Shermans?

I know you have to have the commander unbuttoned in order for the 50 cal to be fired on a Sherman... and for Sherman's with the 50 cal positioned forward of the commanders hatch, this is not a problem.

Question is, how do you get the commander to fire the 50 cal on Sherman's where the gun is positioned on the back side of the commanders hatch? I've tried several things and couldn't get it to happen... My guess is you can't direct his fire but he may be able to fire on targets of opportunity that just happen to be in the opposite direction of where the turret/main gun faces. But I've never seen that happen so its only a guess.

Thoughts or solutions anyone?

Thanks,

Mark

Part of the problem comes from the fact that the .50 was originally meant as an anti-aircraft weapon when it was thought that the Luftwaffe would still pose a threat to allied tanks. Hence it's position to fire backwards and upwards. Only later did it find more use against enemy infantry. And over time new mountings were developed. But in Normandy a lot of Shermans still had the .50 mounted in the original position. So I think the game has it about right in that regard.

Yeah, most .50 on Shermans are still mounted in the AA position by Normandy, and then used in the forward mount later after the Break-Out ( Oct onwards ) when it became apparent there was no Luftwaffe...So, CM is giving the Sherman alittle to much of an advantage at this point.

It would've been better to have 1-2 out of 5 Shermans mounted in the Forward position representing field modifications or the gradual change over...Ofcourse, this would've require additional coding.

Joe