3.0 & 'Casualty' UI

On the 3.0 Upgrade I dislike the word 'Casualty' written in the UI next to the Weapons, and prefer the v2.12 version.

I talked with Scipio who helped me option out the 'Casualty' word by opening up a 'String' and deleting the word out, then putting in my Z Folder.

Ok fine, ofcourse this means the 'Casualty' is now replaced with Yellow Weapon (incapacitated)...I now see Wounded and incapacitated all in Yellow, and hard to tell the difference between the two ( unless I look around the Battlefield to see who is actually Wounded, and who is actually Incapacitated in the squad )

Is there any other suggestions, or Mods in use...Maybe a way to make the Weapon Red for incapacitated ( since Yellow is for 'Wounded' ), or have the Weapon dissaper altogether ( like it did in v2.12 ).

Joe

On the 3.0 Upgrade I dislike the word 'Casualty' written in the UI next to the Weapons, and prefer the v2.12 version.

I talked with Scipio who helped me option out the 'Casualty' word by opening up a 'String' and deleting the word out, then putting in my Z Folder.

Ok fine, ofcourse this means the 'Casualty' is now replaced with Yellow Weapon (incapacitated)...I now see Wounded and incapacitated all in Yellow, and hard to tell the difference between the two ( unless I look around the Battlefield to see who is actually Wounded, and who is actually Incapacitated in the squad )

Is there any other suggestions, or Mods in use...Maybe a way to make the Weapon Red for incapacitated ( since Yellow is for 'Wounded' ), or have the Weapon dissaper altogether ( like it did in v2.12 ).

Joe

I think its Jujus mod that has a small red cross instead of the casualty writen over the weapon.

You and me both, Joe. I don't want to see the incapacitated soldiers in the UI at all (like it was in v2.12). I really wish BFC would give us the option to toggle this on/off in a future patch.

Yeah, my thoughts exactly...I mean, Really, do we need a word that says 'Casualty' in the UI...It just messes up the look.

If we must have a Casualty marker, then the weapon should be in Red since we have Yellow for Wounded ( or a red dot\dash under weapon thats less conspicous ).

Atleast, we have Mods that help out.

I love Vin's animated text, but I still want to make casualties stand out more. I learned this trick (I'm sorry, I forget where!) for making it better:

Vin's Animated Text changes the word "Casualty" to a cross both on the left-hand soldier state display and on the weapon slot panel.

To change the cross to the word "+Casualty+" (or whatever you like) while keeping the rest of Vin's great mod, you need to replace text in "strings.txt".

The entry to change in "strings.text" in Vin's Animated Text is the item right after "Routing" under "Soldier State Display". It looks like a superscript 23.

Change this:

<E>²³

to this:

<E>+Casualty+

Now the weapon icons for casualties are almost completely obscured by the red "+casualty+" word. You can still see who they were (or what they carried, anyway), but you get a more immediate visual sense of who's left in the unit.

Good suggestion, Martyr, but I like how it is now with a small Red Cross just below the Weapon Icon and nothing obscuring it...Nice settle touch.

What I really would've liked is if the Weapon Icon Casualty be in RED ( since Wounded is in Yellow ), but I guess the Weapons are Hard-Coded and cannot be changed ?

Yes red, and dark red weapon icons would be best, but it cannot be modded that way. In order to have that BF would have to have a red, and dark red bitmap for each weapon in the game. Although that would look best it just is not practical. This would double the amount of weapon bitmaps that are there, and would make the application even larger in size. The way they have it now is the most practical way to do it for the function it has. I think it is a good addition to the game over all, made even better with the animated text mod :D.

Just my 2 cents. I like "Casualty" displayed as it gives just due to KIAs and how it will/can impact your force.

I love Vin's animated text, but I still want to make casualties stand out more. I learned this trick (I'm sorry, I forget where!) for making it better:

Now the weapon icons for casualties are almost completely obscured by the red "+casualty+" word. You can still see who they were (or what they carried, anyway), but you get a more immediate visual sense of who's left in the unit.

Followed instructions you posted and inserted correct text in the "strings.text" file but it nullified Vin's mod completely. I'll keep trying to get it to work.

Yep, I don't use Vin's animated text thing, but I did change my "Casualty" to "++++++++" which I find a good compromise between intrusiveness and visibility.

( I tried "--------" initially, but the dashes were just a fraction too thin when on top of a weapon picture like Marco's )

Yes red, and dark red weapon icons would be best, but it cannot be modded that way. In order to have that BF would have to have a red, and dark red bitmap for each weapon in the game. Although that would look best it just is not practical. This would double the amount of weapon bitmaps that are there, and would make the application even larger in size. The way they have it now is the most practical way to do it for the function it has. I think it is a good addition to the game over all, made even better with the animated text mod :D.

It is no serious programming effort, especially since the work has been done already. It's not such a big difference to let a program show an additional 'casualties' text or a third set of bitmaps. To create a third set of bitmaps - speaking of the simple two colored weapon icons - is no big effort, too, if you have a green and yellow set already. It would not even increase the download significant. A set of weapon icons has much less than 1 MB when packed.

Just my 2 cents. I like "Casualty" displayed as it gives just due to KIAs and how it will/can impact your force.

Followed instructions you posted and inserted correct text in the "strings.text" file but it nullified Vin's mod completely. I'll keep trying to get it to work.

Hmmm. I just followed my steps and it worked for me.

It is no serious programming effort, especially since the work has been done already. It's not such a big difference to let a program show an additional 'casualties' text or a third set of bitmaps. To create a third set of bitmaps - speaking of the simple two colored weapon icons - is no big effort, too, if you have a green and yellow set already. It would not even increase the download significant. A set of weapon icons has much less than 1 MB when packed.

Agree. I'm only assuming they went the way of the "Casualty" text to trim game size, and so they would not have to make extra bmps for ever weapon, which anyone could make very easily. Only BF knows why they chose the route they did between the two options. As it is, especially with using the red cross like my mod does, it functions and looks fine for me.