Command Link

Hello everyone.. maybe some can explain why I cannot link my Mortar crews to my front HQ units or FO.

I am at the battle of Stary Jankov playing as Germans...... about 45min in game.

2nd Co... has radio as does all of its Platoon HQ.. I have to use the 4th Platoon HQ (Heavy Pl HQ) to link up with the Mortar crew for 2nd Co. as no Mortar crew comes equiped with mortars.... no problem I say.. thats what the Heavy 4th Platoon HQ is for right??

1st Co has radios as does its subordinate Platoon HQ's just like 2nd Co...

Same issues.. but there is no 4th platoon HQ to use for 1st Co HQ Mortar team.. so I use a 1platoon HQ that has a radio.. unfortunately I have no idea who 1platoon is linked to.. nothing on his command link display? (but he has a radio)

Some of my tanks cannot link to Battalion HQ or Company HQ... ????

FO can not link to anyone

1st Battalion HQ for all of my Panzers.. has no contact with anyone

So im a bit confused.... here.. They are all within radio range of each other.. but I cant get any joy to my Mortar teams.. between Company or platoon level... there are radio's next to each Mortar team.. but I find it a bit wierd that my platoon commanders can not even get radio contact with their Company commander who is only 360m away.

Frustrated.. but maybe I am just used to satelite communications. can anyone explain how I can fix this.. I looked at the manual.. and I have not done anything wrong with setting up.

Platoons to the front with their platoon commanders.. in the middle I have my Company Commander...and behind him I have my Mortar teams with an available radio... Im even sending the 1st Company Commander back to 1st Co. Mortar teams just to have direct contact with them...however In doing so, I lose contact with all platoons...even though they are less then 500m away.

thanks for any light on this.. I could not find a posting.

I am having similar problems. I even have a mortar squad 15M from its Platoon HQ with both sounds and visual contact and the platoon HQ says it is out of contact with the mortar squad. Is there a CC/mortars 101 for dummys available anywhere?

"Is there a CC/mortars 101 for dummys available anywhere?"

Yeah, this issue crops again and again even for us veterans. If someone who really understood this stuff could draw a diagram, or list the requirements that would be most helpful. (It should be in the manual.)

Been going thru a periodic burn-out on tactical games and am learning Grigsby's War in the Pacific monster - which is FAR more complex than CM2. The great thing is there is so much tabulated material that explains every aspect of WitP and how to play the game effectively (as opposed to most discussion being about arcane historical issues).

This wasn't in RT but in BN:MG. I don't think they are that different.

I had a platoon HQ in a 2nd story building with a clear LOS/LOF to an enemy unit.

Indigenous 60mm mortar for THAT platoon directly behind the house with a clear LOS to spotting HQ. Mortar unit would not acknowledge C2 to HQ. Period. It took me a while to figure out that the mortar in question was underneath the back porch roof of the house that the HQ was spotting from. Moved the mortar back 10 meters away from the house and problem solved. I guess they didn't want to wreck the roof of that porch.

"Is there a CC/mortars 101 for dummys available anywhere?"

Yeah, this issue crops again and again even for us veterans. If someone who really understood this stuff could draw a diagram, or list the requirements that would be most helpful. (It should be in the manual.)

Been going thru a periodic burn-out on tactical games and am learning Grigsby's War in the Pacific monster - which is FAR more complex than CM2. The great thing is there is so much tabulated material that explains every aspect of WitP and how to play the game effectively (as opposed to most discussion being about arcane historical issues).

Yeah copy that.. looked in the manual.. no problem.. Never had this problem with CM Normandy..

Anyways... I made sure that there is nothing blocking the LOS or LOF with the mortar teams.. but still can not make contact with the mortar team. There are 4 HQ units around both mortar teams.. one team is in contact, the other is not.. even though they are 20m from each other.. and had direct LOS with everyone... looked at the diagram.. followed it to a T. There should be no reason why that mortar team should not be within radio contact with any platoon HQ in the field...

But strangely enough.. some of my Platoon HQ loose radio contact from the Company HQ.. how is this possible.. when they are 200m away from each other.... whats the radio range.. 50m? when I figure out screenshots.. I will take a picture of platoon HQ not even seeing or being able to communicate with its subordinates, even though they are right next to each other in open ground.. about 10-15m apart.

Yeah I don't know whats up.. LOL. Oh well I am going to right this one off as strange things sometimes happens. I think part of the problem is that the 2nd Company does not have its heavy weapons HQ commander available.. so maybe this stops them from communicating with everyone else... In Combat Mission Normandy.. to get contact with some of the mortar crews I would take Track 250/1 with radio and park it near the Mortar Nest.. thereby their Mortar PLt HQ would have a radio to communicate with anyone on the battlefield and take Fire Missions.

Been going thru a periodic burn-out on tactical games and am learning Grigsby's War in the Pacific monster - which is FAR more complex than CM2.

Interesting. For similar reasons I've spent the last few days in the company of HOI2. I haven't played it in at least half a dozen years, so going back through the manual is like researching a PhD. thesis. So much information to be absorbed before one can play at all well... I am starting to believe that we hard core wargamers must be masochistic megalomaniacs.

Michael

For me it's just nice to see the "big picture" for a change. After a while I find all the tactical games start to feel/look the same and I lose immersion. The ideal wargame would have an Operational/Strategic level that enabled one to drill down and play a tactical scenario that affects the overall strategic game.

Lucas's Battle of Britain(?) was like that. Close Combat had that element. Was hoping that Combat Missions would do the same for CM1, but regrettably...

Sounds like a campaign battle where the forces suffered some attrition in a previous battle. Was the mortar section commander waxed by any chance? Perhaps some intermediate units were lost in a previous battle, chain of command is broken from the start of the next.

Sounds like a campaign battle where the forces suffered some attrition in a previous battle. Was the mortar section commander waxed by any chance? Perhaps some intermediate units were lost in a previous battle, chain of command is broken from the start of the next.

Well some units did suffer from an air attack.. the campaign is long (Germans) so I was not even sure who got killed as it was a large battle.. so not sure what units were actually affected...it is possible

Even if the 2nd Company Mortar section HQ were a casualty... could I not essentially park another HQ unit with radio next to them to get a communications link set up... or is this impossible?

What my next plan is to do is... run the mortar squad over to the one who has "Command Link".... hopefully they can at least share their mortar rounds with the team that has Command Link.