How to call air strike?

I'm OK with that, but I can't even tell when an airstrike has actually happened. I hear a plane buzzing around, but have yet to see anything happen.

Same. I've had near 500 soviets on screen, and I can hear my stukas flying around somewhere every once and awhile, but no strike.

Same. I've had near 500 soviets on screen, and I can hear my stukas flying around somewhere every once and awhile, but no strike.

They won't attack unless they spot something. What I don't know is whether on the first turn you can plot a point or area for them to attack, same as you can plot unobserved artillery fire on the first turn.

Michael

They won't attack unless they spot something.

I'm OK with that as well, but in largish scenarios with everything else going it is often difficult to tell if they've attacked or not...or at least I've never noticed an actual attack. Maybe they have not actually launched one?

In a realistic game, you will hate your own air force as much as every WW2 infantryman hated theirs.

Even in CMBN 2.0, I'm wary of close air support. I just had a Spitfire run two strafing passes on a company of American paratroopers before I could call it off.

Okay, so to reiterate, I do absolutely nothing. No using observers, no pre start area targets? The planes attack where they want, what they want, and when they want without me doing absolutely anything.

Correct.

IF they attack the enemy, it's a win ! :D

Okay, so to reiterate, I do absolutely nothing. No using observers, no pre start area targets? The planes attack where they want, what they want, and when they want without me doing absolutely anything.

Right. It is basically a crap shoot from start to finish. If you love to gamble, this is your baby. You can win big or lose big and you don't have a whole lot of control over which way it will go. If the plane doesn't attack your own guys by mistake but does not attack the enemy either, you've just wasted a whole bunch of purchase points.

Michael

• 2 weeks later...

Steve has often commented that if he had his druthers he would've kept airpower entire out of the WWII titles. Because directed airstrikes danger-close to friendlies in the middle of a tactical engagement was exceedingly rare. Airstrikes are rather like battleship artillery, artillery rockets, and Sturmtiger. They're there mostly for 'demonstration' purposes. You play a few scenarios using them then your curiosity has been satisfied.