Defences Tab in interface key means what?

Reading the new manual and see that you have values from left to right for the front left and right and rear.

However above these icons is some sort of key that has five values and does not match the columns exactly.

What exactly do the symbols mean btw:

Red cross = no protection against anything in that class?

Green means proof against all projectiles in the game?

Why 4 values and 5 values on top line?

IS this value a representation of the armours current state or its starting state?

13597994125_3a542b9186_o.jpg

I read the green symbol as meaning "impenetrable", and the red cross as meaning.. you'll soon need the aid of the Red Cross.

But knowing Battlefront, I wouldn't be surprised if there's one in a million chance that a shot might penetrate anyway, even though you have "green" armour.

By the way, I always wondered about the "top" armour. Isn't is quite normal that tanks have weaker armour on top?

Yet in this game, the final column usually shows better armour (not in your example, typical) :)

There's also a Sherman variant that has sandbags on the front. That one shows better "top" armour for some reason, even though the sandbags are clearly shown stacked on the front.

EDIT:I should say my experience is limited to playing as the Allies.

I always wondered about the "top" armour. Isn't is quite normal that tanks have weaker armour on top?

Yet in this game, the final column usually shows better armour (not in your example, typical) :)

There's also a Sherman variant that has sandbags on the front. That one shows better "top" armour for some reason.

Sandbags full of sand provide pretty good protection for about one round's worth of incoming, so I'm happy that this shows up in the schematic. You'd hope that the armour value degrades quickly with exposure to fire (I'd be surprised if BF missed this but I haven't tested it.)

Bulletpoint, which vehicles have the better top armour values? You want tanks to protect their occupants and survive, say, direct mortar fire, so reasonably high values for top armour aren't necessarily unrealistic. Also figure the increase in fighter-bomber activity as the war progresses and some design changes to counter this...?

Bulletpoint, which vehicles have the better top armour values? You want tanks to protect their occupants and survive, say, direct mortar fire, so reasonably high values for top armour aren't necessarily unrealistic. Also figure the increase in fighter-bomber activity as the war progresses and some design changes to counter this...?

Not saying it's not realistic, as I don't know all that much about it. A true grognard will be here shortly, I am sure :) But I seem to remember from somewhere that tank armour is generally stronger on the front, then weaker on the sides, then the rear, and finally the top, since it's very unlikely that anything bigger than mortar shells will hit the top of the tank, and even that is somewhat unlikely.

Apparently, even in modern times, some anti-tank missiles apparently exploit this by first ascending, then descending on the top of the tank.

I can't remember which tanks have the strong top armour in the game, apart from the sandbagged Sherman I mentioned. But I think I have been puzzled about it a couple of times..

Apparently, even in modern times, some anti-tank missiles apparently exploit this by first ascending, then descending on the top of the tank.

Yep the Javelin in CMSF takes that "dive" if target is beyond a certain range.

For WW2 tanks, the Tiger I Late has top armor increased to 40mm from 25 on the Mid far as I know, in response to intensified Allied air raids. However no tank in the game can survive concentrated arty barrages. 155+ howitzers kill Shermans, Tigers, T-72s and Abrams alike! (done by my tests)