How should I use XO units?

That's another interesting observation. The command abilities of leaders in CM2 are so subtle that I usually don't worry too much about units being out of command. In CM1 you could tell the difference much more easily.

One's tactics in CM2 seems far more important that the usual comparison of two identical squads blasting away at each other but with different quality HQ leadership.

I find out-of-C2 elements very fragile under fire. They very quickly become Rattled under suppression, whereas elements in C2 can sustain actual casualties before they flirt with that state. I would expect that the higher the troops' soft factors to start with, the less noticeable the commander's effect. Which seems plausible...

That's another interesting observation. The command abilities of leaders in CM2 are so subtle that I usually don't worry too much about units being out of command. In CM1 you could tell the difference much more easily.

One's tactics in CM2 seems far more important that the usual comparison of two identical squads blasting away at each other but with different quality HQ leadership.

In other words, CM1 is more like ASL, where you could easily tell the difference between a +0, +1, or +2 leader, as well as easily tell the protection (die roll modifier) given to troops in a stone building VS a wooden building VS the woods, etc.

CM2 has many more variables. Yes, we all know that being in C2 with a good leader is a good thing....buy why? Well, because it just is. Being in a stone building provides more protection for infantry in CM2, just the same as it did in CM1 (or ASL), but the difference isn't just some die roll modifier. In CM2 we actually see the bullets bounce off the building. Or wait!, did that 50cal or 20mm actually penetrate the stone wall and kill some of my troops? Yes, it did.

Fun stuff, IMO. And I'm glad to have been a part of it from back in the old original SL (pre ASL) days.

In CM2 we actually see the bullets bounce off the building. Or wait!, did that 50cal or 20mm actually penetrate the stone wall and kill some of my troops? Yes, it did.

And heavy buildings will give your occupying troops a "terrain save" too, so even if the round penetrates the building and intersects with his pixels, a pTruppe might still survive!

One other issue that perhaps belongs in this thread is that in the US army it was common practice that if one of the platoon commanders got popped (which they did with great frequency) the company XO would get sent down to take over the platoon until a permanent replacement could be found. This does not seem to be possible in the game.

That certainly would make him more useful. Unill that ever happens I use them as lead officer scouts, as they spot rather good. I also use as medic, and as a F.O. There are more uses for him as one may think.

The problem with using the XO in all those other roles is that I get a twinge of "gaminess" if in RL he would be staying safe ready to move into the CO's shoes.

It isn't that gamey. In real life they could usually be found not sitting around waiting for the CO to buy it, but working wherever an extra company officer was needed. If anything, they are a little restrained in the game, at least as far as US practice is concerned. As has been previously reported, in other armies the XO role was mainly fulfilled at the company and sometimes even battalion level by the senior noncom.

Michael

The problem with using the XO in all those other roles is that I get a twinge of "gaminess" if in RL he would be staying safe ready to move into the CO's shoes.

Sounds like a personal problem to me. You are more than welcome to use him any way you like ;)

Glad Dr. Vin has you feeling better. Now play more CM, and take two Guinness then call me in the morning :)

I dunno, drinking two Guiness and calling you in the morning sounds like a recipe for you getting a lot of drunkards calling you first thing. I usually wait to drink my Guiness till afternoon.