Mines

mjkerner

This has been asked about and discussed before, but I don't recall and didn't find a definitive answer from BFC. Since most forum eyes seem to be on this thread atm, I thought I'd ask here.

How many mines are associated with a mine marker? And what is the radius of the marker?

Do the moving pixeltruppen actually intersect with a "physical" mine object in the terrain mesh, or does the game simply apply a statistical "to hit" probability dice roll of sorts to those moving into the marker radius?

Good questions - I only have one answer.

How many mines are associated with a mine marker?

I seem to recall reading something about this at one point but cannot find it. You could fire up the scenario editor and conduct a test.

And what is the radius of the marker?

It covers the action square it is in.

Do the moving pixeltruppen actually intersect with a "physical" mine object in the terrain mesh, or does the game simply apply a statistical "to hit" probability dice roll of sorts to those moving into the marker radius?

No idea. Interesting experiment would be to setup a scenario run it and see where the explosions are. Run it again and see where the explosions are - if they are different could mean the setup randomly at the start. Then start it and save an in progress turn and start from that save to see where the explosions are and see if they are the same - if they are different then it is probably random at the point of contact.

I doubt I'll have time to do any of this any time soon. Let us know if you do.

Yeah... IIRC, not long after CMBN came out someone actually went to the trouble of running tanks back and forth across the same mined action spot and counting the detonations until they'd detonated all of the AP mines -- it is an actual hard number and it is possible to detonate all of the mines in an action spot, rendering it completely safe thereafter.

If you do some searches, you might be able to find the thread.

IMHO, the actual number isn't particularly important; the most important takeaway is that the game does explicitly track the number of mines in a minefield, and a mined action spot becomes safer as mines within it go off (regardless of what triggered them). So if a tank rolls through an action spot and detonates 3-4 AP mines, then you have a much better chance of crawling or hunting infantry across that action spot without setting off a mine than you do in a "fresh" minefield action spot.

Remember you have AT, AP and mixed mines, so the fact that AFVs went through safely does not mean infantry is safe and vice versa.

You're half right. Vehicles set off AP mines, but usually aren't destroyed by them (AP mines generally cause incremental track/wheel damage to vehicles and can immobilize a vehicle if you hit enough of them).

So if a vehicle crosses an action spot safely, it's very likely that action spot is safe for infantry as well (though not 100%, even on a "fresh" mine Action Spot, there is always a chance that the vehicle manages to miss all of the mines). The reverse is not true, though. AFAIK, infantry never set off AT mines.

I also don't think I've ever seen engineers spot AT mines, but this may just be random chance. I have definitely managed to spot AP mines with engineers a few times without setting them off, but it seems like the chance of this is fairly low. The engineers have to be very close to spot the minefield so you have to be either very lucky and just happen to stop them in the right place, or have some pre-intel on exactly where the minefield is.