Booby traps...Do we want-/need them ?

Hello...

What do you guys think about booby traps in the WW2-games ?

Having some kind of mine that you could place inside a building that would go off if enemy troops enter that building.

Would that be:

good ?, bad ?, or simply frustrating having half a squad blown away when you enter a building ?

Was booby traps even used in any significant way during WW2 ?

Hello...

Having some kind of mine that you could place inside a building that would go off if enemy troops enter that building.

Interesting.

Would that be:

good ?, bad ?, or simply frustrating having half a squad blown away when you enter a building ?

Good if it is an enemy squad and frustrating if it is one of mine :D. But taking buildings can be frustrating anyways, if the occupying squad has a short covering arc they will only start shooting when your guys are at point blank range just outside the doorstep, usually whiping out the group you sent to occupy the building. That is why i tend to surpress buildings that i am going to occupy even if i dont know for sur ethat something enemy is inside.

Probably, but that is just my guess.

We already have anti personnel and anti tank mines in game.

Can they be placed in structures? Not sure, but they would serve adequately as a boobytrap IMO.

What else could you booby trap if you had that option, that would in anyway influence game play other than the way mines do now?

We already have anti personnel and anti tank mines in game.

Can they be placed in structures? Not sure, but they would serve adequately as a boobytrap IMO.

Unfortunately no. I was trying for that in the Venafro scenario. I semi accomplished it by creating ruins without building bases.

Oh lord yes! In some armies, retreating soldiers would even booby trap the bodies of slain comrades. You go to bury the poor bastard and you become one more statistic. There was a mini-arms race in the sense that considerable ingenuity was expended in devising booby traps and methods for discovering and disarming them all through the war.

Michael

Hello...

Would that be:

I am reading some books now on the eastern front, in preparation for the release of Red Thunder. Both sides used booby traps. Maybe booby traps could be modeled in the game by the use of anti-personnel mines inside buildings. But next I suppose the question would be if you had a multistory structure could the game engine handle placing AP mines (the booby traps) on different floors of buildings and could engineers clear them.