Who is he?

One of the splash screens that displays while a game is loading in CMBN shows a German commander, reviewing maps with three of his officers. The commander is in the middle of the picture, wearing what seems to be a leather coat. He is quite a bit shorter than the officers around him.

Does anyone know who that commander is? Just curious.

Which picture your talking about Frankster?

It is one of the wallpapers you see when waiting for the game or scenario to load. It shows a column of German troops marching down the road away from the photographer with one young, very young looking infantry soldier looking back at the camera. I find it a very emotional picture. It should be there in your game.

It is one of the wallpapers you see when waiting for the game or scenario to load. It shows a column of German troops marching down the road away from the photographer with one young, very young looking infantry soldier looking back at the camera. I find it a very emotional picture. It should be there in your game.

Yes, that one always gets me too. He looks like he's saying "Oh boy, I can't wait, this is going to be a great adventure!" It would be fascinating if somone could ever trace him and find out what really happened to him after this moment.

That would actually be a great topic for a WWII TV series, to take some period photo and tell that one person's story before and after, and show the historians as they do their research and interviews to piece it all together. Similar to the PBS shows "History Detectives" and "Dead Men's Secrets."

BTW, one excellent and poignant episode of the latter show traced a pocket diary that an American grunt picked up from an NVA corpse just after a battle in the Ia Drang Valley. Decades later he felt remorse about keeping it (it had photos tucked inside too) and contacted the show because he wanted help, in finding out who the enemy soldier was and getting the diary back to his family.

These types of shows would so much better than the endless recyclings of Bulge and D-Day highlights that the cable channels keep churning out (from US TV you'd think those two battles were all that ever happened in WW II)

Ya young kid not realizing what he and his friends are walking into. Heres the photo along with some others from the same column.

p2n1.jpg

It looks to me like there are a lot of young kids in that group, 17, 18, 19 years old, as well as some older guys in their twenties. The way that one guy is looking back at the camera, it's as if he is saying, "I'm just going to go fight this battle and then I'll be right back, honey."

Michael

That would actually be a great topic for a WWII TV series, to take some period photo and tell that one person's story before and after, and show the historians as they do their research and interviews to piece it all together. Similar to the PBS shows "History Detectives" and "Dead Men's Secrets."

Somewhat along those lines, I have sometimes wondered how many of the soldiers who crossed the Polish frontier on Sept. 1, 1939 were still alive and in one piece after May 8, 1945.

Michael

I always wondered the same thing about the young soldier. He has a chevron so he is probably working his way up to assistant squad leader or such.

Jason Mark did research in his excellent book "Island of Fire" where an officer was finally identified from a famous Stalingrad picture. Amazing research. The officer died in a prisoner of war camp in Russia in Feb. 1943, so he didn't last long after the surrender in Stalingrad. The family finally found out about his death in 1948. The officer is pictured on the cover of the book.

Heinrich505

That group of photos was clipped out of a German propaganda film that was staged after an American unit was overrun by elements of Kampfgruppe Hansen.

Apparently the SS man with the MG survived the war and moved to the US. He has chosen to keep his identity confidential.

I'm sure the cameraman probably asked the soldiers to pick up American rifles to make the film more dramatic for the folks back in the Fatherland. I can see Germans dumping their own cigarettes to get a pack of Luckys, but I dont see them trading an MP44 for an M-2 carbine.

I've always wondered who the young infantry landser is looking back at the photographer while he and his comrades march to the front. You probably know which picture I'm talking about. He looks so young. I wonder who is was, did he survive war?

I've wondered the same thing! I thought they were in a training exercise, as none of them have helmets. He looks like he would be great fun to go drinking with.

The other one who looks so very young is the loader in the picture of the panzerschreck. Neither of them look like they're very comfortable with the weapon.

Yes, that one always gets me too. He looks like he's saying "Oh boy, I can't wait, this is going to be a great adventure!" It would be fascinating if somone could ever trace him and find out what really happened to him after this moment.

BTW, one excellent and poignant episode of the latter show traced a pocket diary that an American grunt picked up from an NVA corpse just after a battle in the Ia Drang Valley. Decades later he felt remorse about keeping it (it had photos tucked inside too) and contacted the show because he wanted help, in finding out who the enemy soldier was and getting the diary back to his family.

These types of shows would so much better than the endless recyclings of Bulge and D-Day highlights that the cable channels keep churning out (from US TV you'd think those two battles were all that ever happened in WW II)

I remember reading the story of a B-29 pilot in the Pacific theater. The bomber collided with a Japanese Zero, and both went down. The B29 pilot had his story published in a "True War Stories" type magazine, many years later. The pilot of the Zero happened to read that issue of the magazine, recognized the story, and contacted the magazine publisher. The publisher put the two in contact with each other, and they became good friends. They both wound up glad that they had not succeeded at killing each other.