DUH, Finally figured out how to move & shoot

I finally figured out how to move and shoot. Somehow I stumbled on that I can for example, give a tank a move order then click on the end waypoint and then press target and click on where I want the tank to shoot. I recently have my tank move back about 15 yards and turn around and put rounds into an upper window where a badguy was pinning down my infantry troops... then later I had some of my infantry move up and start spraying a window where a guy shot a Panerfaust out of, that was going for my tank. I am sure this is in the manual but its difficult to connect the dots when they are numbered. Now when I play I will see more than my icons flashing orange all the time as my units are pinned lmao.

I finally figured out how to move and shoot. Somehow I stumbled on that I can for example, give a tank a move order then click on the end waypoint and then press target and click on where I want the tank to shoot. I recently have my tank move back about 15 yards and turn around and put rounds into an upper window where a badguy was pinning down my infantry troops... then later I had some of my infantry move up and start spraying a window where a guy shot a Panerfaust out of, that was going for my tank. I am sure this is in the manual but its difficult to connect the dots when they are numbered. Now when I play I will see more than my icons flashing orange all the time as my units are pinned lmao.

Just a hint: you can take this further, and issue more than one fire order per one minute turn ...

Assuming you have several targets that you want to suppress, and they are all in LOS/LOF from a few adjacent action spots, then you can:

- give the tank a target briefly order (key J) from its current location (gets you 15 seconds of firing), and also a 15 second pause order (key P, pressed three times);

- plot a nearby waypoint, target briefly from there again and another 15 second pause order for that waypoint;

- plot a third waypoint, and target briefly from there too.

Bingo! Three targets hit (hopefully!) in one turn.

You do have to be wary, though, of where / how far away you put the fire waypoints. Having given the tank specific fire targets, it will tend to follow those orders possibly to the exclusion of other targets that arise as it moves, and so expose itself to unreturned fire.

Best to keep the fire waypoints to an area in which you are pretty sure that the tank will not reveal itself to new enemies it isn't yet aware of ... (ask me how I know that bit ...!)

Also remember that you can attach not just Target but any one of that category of orders to a waypoint - Target, Target Light, Target Smoke, Target Brief, Target Arc, Target Armor Arc, Face, and in addition Pop Smoke. The use of Target Arcs in conjunction with waypoints can be especially handy when navigating around city streets or other obstacles.

Great...CMx2 v2.0 is now the new Modern Tank Simulator ( M1 Abrams ) where you can act and react several times all in a quick 60 sec turn...Wow !

Joe

Nope. There's no reaction involved. It's a mechanic that allows you to plan to spread your fire. That's all. Any reaction will be mediated by the tank's (now reduced) spotting abilities and the soft factors of the crew. And it's not unreasonable for a good tank crew to be able, upon occasion, at least, to be able to engage and destroy a couple or three targets in a minute, if they present themselves nicely. All the factors would have to line up, for it to happen, and if they had any "Target Area" orders it probably would not.

So your sarcasm is pretty much without foundation.

The use of Target Arcs in conjunction with waypoints can be especially handy when navigating around city streets or other obstacles.

Another good one: use waypoints and cover arcs to face your tanks' turret towards known targets before you enter LOS. That way you'll be ready to fire that much faster. Especially if that target is at an angle other than the direction you're moving in.

Regarding moving and firing isn't it called "recon by fire" or something.

"Recon by Fire" is a general term for shooting into where you think the enemy might be, in the hopes of provoking a response -- i.e., getting any enemy that is there to shoot back.

It doesn't have anything to do with shooting on the move as such. It is, however, a technique that is often employed when on the advance with the idea of trying force a defender to spring an ambush prematurely.

@Joe and @Womble

Just to add an info to this: If you are using a "recruit" tank crew they are even acting too slow for pulling only the trigger of the machine gun at a 15 seconds stop - not to mention the main gun...

These crews need a stop of about 30 seconds to fire.

Unfortunately the command "open/close turret lock" doesn't work at the moment with the waypoints.

Regarding moving and firing isn't it called "recon by fire" or something.

Artofwar, I recommend you check out my blog, which explains Recon by Fire, Fire & Movement, basic movement techniques, Battle Drills, and other tactics related stuff. Its concentration is on the application of tactics in Combat Mission, and I have provided two practice scenarios with more in the works. It will require at least CMBN 2.10 be installed to play the scenarios.

The link: Combat Mission Tactical Problems I hope its helpful.

I have recently added a few posts on Battle Command and I am working on Reconnaissance techniques now.

Bil