Do soldiers throw grenades out of window?

Recently I saw this in a game: I had some infantry inside a 2 story building. Outside, just next to the building was an enemy tank. I ordered my infantry to attack the tank using Target order.

Basically they could have thrown several grenades out of the 2nd floor window because the tank was just below the window. But they didn't use grenades at all.

When infantry is outside buildings they use grenades against tanks and often manage to at least immobilize the tank. So my question is: should infantry be able to attack tanks also when soldiers are indoors?

They will throw grenades from buildings at open-top AFVs. When your troops throw grenades at a tank out in the open, it is actually an abstraction for more directly assaulting the tank, rather than just tossing grenades at it (which would be almost totally ineffective).

Maybe this abstraction explains it. Direct assault might mean running to tank and attaching a magnetic mine to its hull etc. Can't be done if building wall is between the soldier and the tank.

Thinking about the case I mentioned earlier maybe they had attacked somehow if tank commander had been visible.

Does anyone know how possession of demo charges would factor into this equation?

Michael

Generally speaking, demo charges are pretty heavy and not designed for throwing, so I wouldn't expect tossing one out of a building window to be very practical. In certain rare situations where the tank was extremely close to the building it might work, but most of the time I'd think some brave lad would have to actually run out of the building and slide the demo charge under the tank or onto the engine deck or whatever.

In certain rare situations where the tank was extremely close to the building it might work...

That's what I had in mind. The vehicle would have to be almost adjacent to the building to be hit by grenades tossed from windows anyway. And a demo charge would not have to land directly on the vehicle to damage it or stun the occupants. If it lands close enough, it could damage the running gear or do other damage.

Michael

But it would have been great if SlowMotion could have re-created the scene in "Saving Private Ryan" wherein the guys threw maltov cocktails out of the upper windows onto the tank-like vehicle. I would rather throw a grenade or satchel out a window than run up to a tank....

I love it when the satchels go off ... WHAM ... huge concussion and the troops mostly then stand around after that to see what happens next. OH , Oh , I downloaded a campaign .... mostly an infantry one ... anyway so this guy (I didn't realize he had a satchel) ends up next to an enemy soldier that is like in this giant puddle and the enemy soldier is all dazed or something well finally this guy sees him and WHAM this satchel goes off ... MY guy put a satchel charge on him .. lmao.

Infantry CA on tanks is already so abstracted that it ought to be permitted from buildings. I suspect one of the problems is flight time. I had some Italian engineers, in some smoke in the middle of a street, when a Sherman burst right past them. They threw a satchel charge at the rampaging M4 and it went a good 4 AS before detonating (without apparent effect :( ), since the vehicle was going so fast. I don't think most soldiers could throw a charge big enough to mangle a tank quite that far; the videos of landmines onto engine decks seem to indicate that getting it to chest height with both hands was about as much as could be expected.

Imagine the hilarity, though, if a street full of american airborne in upper storeys got rushed down by some armour, and several of the para elements activated CA: a hail of grenades and demo charges ending up 30 or 40m down the street...

No, it's not. Scenes where the physically impossible (chucking a satchel charge 40 m sideways out a window onto the rear deck of a speeding Panther) occurs are just immersion-breakers. Setting the game up to increase the frequency of those sorts of daft artefacts isn't going to be on BFC's agenda, I reckon.