win32 Evo-gen

Where did you download it from? Theoretically you could actually be looking at an infected executable.

If he downloaded it from BFC's site or a site they recommend he has nothing to fear no matter what "sky is falling" message his anti virus software shows. If he downloaded it form some where else - well don't do that.

Anti virus software is really paranoid - which is usually a good thing. But same as in real life if you trust the source - just trust the source.

• 2 weeks later...
If he downloaded it from BFC's site or a site they recommend he has nothing to fear no matter what "sky is falling" message his anti virus software shows. If he downloaded it form some where else - well don't do that.

Anti virus software is really paranoid - which is usually a good thing. But same as in real life if you trust the source - just trust the source.

Excuse me, but one of the patches on one of those sites that BFC recommends was indeed corrupt. So much for that theory. Probably still is.

'Corrupt', but NOT infected. I'm not sure where the ball was dropped, but the file was simply incomplete/corrupt.

The ball was dropped when you refused to even offer checksums without people poking the heck out of you.

Why are you the only gaming company with such an amateurish distribution of patches?

OK, Matrix is worse in some ways but still.

I got the warning when downloading from BFC and it's recommended sites. I have since ran scans on my pc and found no infected files though.

Now you are mixing up two issues, or maybe three.

You get the warning on the right files that have been correctly transferred. That is because CMx2 does everything that malware does and that is why it is flagged by security software until you tell it it is fine.

What Schrull and I were arguing are downloads that are actually incorrect. As Schrull points out there has only been a case of a broken but not infected download but as I tell him that isn't acceptable. Because BFC forced their customers to make exclusions for their security software, BFC doesn't assert the integrity of the downloads and as a result people would be forced to disable the alarm on downloads that might actually be infected.

Or in other words: since the valid download is already flagged, how do you ever tell an invalu download?

Now you are mixing up two issues, or maybe three.

You get the warning on the right files that have been correctly transferred. That is because CMx2 does everything that malware does and that is why it is flagged by security software until you tell it it is fine.

What Schrull and I were arguing are downloads that are actually incorrect. As Schrull points out there has only been a case of a broken but not infected download but as I tell him that isn't acceptable. Because BFC forced their customers to make exclusions for their security software, BFC doesn't assert the integrity of the downloads and as a result people would be forced to disable the alarm on downloads that might actually be infected.

Or in other words: since the valid download is already flagged, how do you ever tell an invalu download?

Oh, i see what you are saying now.

My top-tier, mainstream security software does not flag CMx2 as malware.