Battlefront is now Slitherine ×

THe new patch made somebody very angry about license issues

Plus of course you don't just use up an activation.

The game is disabled and you need BFC's super-secret cleaner. That they can't make public because it reveals where the DRM anchors itself in the system. Which in turn makes CMx2 games a valid target for spyware scanners. It does everything a spyware would do. Poke down deep in the system to snoop at hardware, anchor itself in a secret place, and stays there on uninstall of the game.

We had a report like that here, too.

Not quite. Someone installed the patch and was asked to re-enter the key. They did so and everything worked fine. "Using up" activations is apparently no longer an issue, although perhaps that is only for keys associated with the most recent release.

So are we supposed to go register on that forum just to answer that one post (which no one has responded to even on that forum)? I'm not a fan of BFC's DRM either, but if every negative post about Combat Mission anywhere on the internet warrants a new thread dedicated to it then we will need a new forum to contain them all. I don't like seeing more important threads get pushed off the first page by muck-stirring.

Maybe I'm just above-average stupid, but I caused some "fault" like this by myself. When I applied the patch, I chose to creat desktop icons.

When I tried to launch the game it always asked me to enter my serial but nothing else happened. At some point I took a closer look at the icons and the one I used was labled "activate / license ..." :D

I was so close to go berserk. ;)

Interesting follow up posts about wanting the DRM that BFC uses fixed. Sorry but that makes me smile. I have never heard of a DRM system that is flawless and easy to support. The fact that someone thinks that BFC can do anything to make it perfect and seamless "like other games" just means they have not ran into a problem - yet.

DRM systems are by definition designed to stop the program from running. That means that if anything is out of kilter customers are stopped cold. Which is a bad thing and my personal problem with DRM systems - they mess up customers and still do not stop the thieves. The only full fix is to remove the DRM. With a game I understand why that will not happen. So, we need to grin and bare it and direct people to BFC support to get their issues resolved.